Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe To Use TransGaming's SwiftShader; Remember Cedega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe To Use TransGaming's SwiftShader; Remember Cedega?

Phoronix: Adobe To Use TransGaming's SwiftShader; Remember Cedega?

TransGaming, the company behind the Cedega program for running Windows games on Linux (as an alternative to using Wine or CodeWeaver's CrossOver Games) and Cider as the Mac equivalent, has just announced that Adobe is now licensing its SwiftShader Technology for the Adobe Flash Player and Adobe AIR...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know, I wish you'd stop shoving in that D3D State Tracker into every possible article. Unless Wine adopts it (unlikely in the near future) it's really not worth talking about.

You even mentioned it in the ReactOS release article where it has barely any relevance, as ReactOS aren't planning on implementing Gallium3D for a long time, if at all.

Comment

So Adobe controls or at least leads PDF and SWF format changes/enhancements. Each new format they make is immediately adopted by their own software, and thus all those who use their software. The art they make with those new formats can then only be viewable by those with programs able to render them. The 3rd party open source programs perpetually lag behind the quickly implemented new Adobe software. This endless treadmill will thus always push users to using Adobe's software, and only Adobe's software, much like .NET vs. Mono, and Silverlight vs. Moonlight. Sure, they claim open standards, but they are the ones behind the wheel.

So, how do you deal with standards advancement situations gracefully so that you get real standards? First off, removing control from a software company with an interest in getting users on its own platform is step number one, if they are going to make changes just to break functionality to cause dependence on their own software. Secondly, you have the "main" implementation be open source, so that all software can adopt the new engine/codec/libraries. Nether of those things Adobe wants to do, because Adobe is interested in getting users onto their own software and nothing more.

Until that changes, where are the open source equivalent SVG animation formats? Do any exist at all? Several formats support animations, and several support SVG, but I have yet to find one that supports both and thus could be a true open Flash replacement.

Comment

I think the moment that Gnash/Lightspark reach *near* feature parity with Adobe's Flash then browsers like Chrome and Firefox will implement it as a built-in plugin. When/if that happens Adobe could quickly find themselves no-longer in control of their own standard. That would be interesting to watch.

Comment

Adobe really needs to rethink their operating model....
          What do they gain by having users use their plugin vs an open source implementation of that plugin? The answer is NOTHING. In fact, it HURTS them since it means that those unable or unwilling to use their blob plugin simply won't have access to content made under their format.

Now if, on the other hand, adobe were to drop their blob (or open source it 100%) and focus EXCLUSIVELY on developing the plugin as OPEN SOURCE, then you give off a warm and fuzzy feeling while potentially being able to REDUCE THE DEVELOPER WORKLOAD AND EXPENSE by gaining community assistance for a piece of software, which by itself, doesn't gain you any revenue to begin with!

Their revenue comes 100% from selling their content CREATION software. Not the CONSUMPTION software, so make life easier on yourself and get some community help!

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
            You know, I wish you'd stop shoving in that D3D State Tracker into every possible article. Unless Wine adopts it (unlikely in the near future) it's really not worth talking about.
            Please! Sometimes I have the feeling you desperatly try to link as many phoronix articles as possible in, no matter how relevant they are or not.

Comment

Flash sucks and I wish it would simply die.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Flash sucks and I wish it would simply die.
                Amen. If someone would buy Photoshop from them I wouldn't miss Adobe either.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  Please! Sometimes I have the feeling you desperatly try to link as many phoronix articles as possible in, no matter how relevant they are or not.
                  I half wonder if it's his form of SEO.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    Amen. If someone would buy Photoshop from them I wouldn't miss Adobe either.
                    Maybe Oracle is up for another acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                    X