Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adobe To Use TransGaming's SwiftShader; Remember Cedega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail Transgaming...

They take Linux users money and then use it to fund games for MAC (while not bring commercial box games to linux ...)

You only get "good support" (ie boilerplate fixes) if you play what is the top5 games (which changes month by month). If your game isn't in that list and a bug occurs no fix...

And now more linux funds used for windows Gee Fucking Gee...

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
      ...Not gonna say hate because I can only hate so many companies at once..Apple and Oracle take priority...
      At least, Apple and Oracle doesn't treat free software as public enemy. They even contribute some of the greatest open-source projects I know of today. And Apple has just taken Flash and Java out of their Mac platform for good. Now people who wants these security breached shitty proprietary software will have to download from Adobe/Oracle website just like windows users have to. Apple is recommending people to use HTML5 and other free web standard APIs instead of these deprecated software platforms.

While Microsoft still thinks open-source is the devil. (they just don't admit it publicly anymore, but they still think it, I know)

Comment

Adobe has always been Sony's Betamax and MiniDisc; deaperately trying to own the market with fonts and shit like Flash.

If they open source Flash then they can no longer de the sole creation vendor of Flash. Simple...

Adobe is as horrible as Microsoft!

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
          At least, Apple and Oracle doesn't treat free software as public enemy.
          (...)
          While Microsoft still thinks open-source is the devil. (they just don't admit it publicly anymore, but they still think it, I know)
          Maybe you didn't read this thread: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26436

Well, Apple does make CUPS and is in charge of x.org server 1.9. The only real problem I have with flash right now is that it crashes at least 10 times every minute... or something like that. It also makes my netbook feel slower than a 486 with 4MB of ram running windows 7. It's also stupid to use vector animation software to display movies.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Adobe has always been Sony's Betamax and MiniDisc; deaperately trying to own the market with fonts and shit like Flash.

If they open source Flash then they can no longer de the sole creation vendor of Flash. Simple...

Adobe is as horrible as Microsoft!
            Flash is their platform. It's not an open standard per say.

Rather than bitch about it not being open..move on like everyone else is doing..html5 is catching on. Once youtube completely moves then it'll just be a matter of time because quite honestly that's the primary user of flash.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Yes, I read that thread last week or so. I fail to see where it goes agains what I said? Maybe a specific reply?

Well, Apple does make CUPS and is in charge of x.org server 1.9.
              LLVM, GCC and, most importantly, Webkit, which drove the web to compete at a whole new level of quality, speed and standards compliance. Firefox4 is only geting as good as it is because Webkit is around, slowly eating their market. Without Webkit Chromium would never have seen the light of a day.

You know, as near as five years from now, most of our apps will be web based. So, that is the most important technology to put money on now. That's why Adobe won't give up Flash, ever.

The only real problem I have with flash right now is that it crashes at least 10 times every minute... or something like that. It also makes my netbook feel slower than a 486 with 4MB of ram running windows 7. It's also stupid to use vector animation software to display movies.
              There are bigger problems with Flash that software developers understand a lil better. 1 example:
              There's only one full implementation and it's proprietary and from a company that has a monopoly of almost all of the markets it competes on. Now THAT's a problem!

Comment

LLVM, GCC and, most importantly, Webkit, which drove the web to compete at a whole new level of quality, speed and standards compliance.
                Ehh, no GCC is definately NOT Apple's. Webkit is a fork of KHTML so it's not as if they created it from scratch, also LLVM is not made by Apple, although they are certainly the largest (only?) corporate contributor as it stands.

As for flash, I certainly have no love for it either. Here's hoping HTML5 and webm manages to wrestle away parts of flash's market. Open source based standards benefit competition, and competition brings better end products. Monopolies on the other hand sure as hell don't.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  Ehh, no GCC is definately NOT Apple's. Webkit is a fork of KHTML so it's not as if they created it from scratch, also LLVM is not made by Apple, although they are certainly the largest (only?) corporate contributor as it stands.
                  Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. GCC is not an Apple project, of course, but they use it and they do contribute code back uptream.
                  But LLVM, frankly, Apple is the one paying everybody that works on it fulltime. But big and core open-source projects like those don't "belong" to any single institution as they really shouldn't. Not like some other enterprises who think they can own open-source projects forever. (cough, sun, cough)

Apple (back in 2001!) started Webkit from KHTML's codebase, but, saying that today it IS KHTML with a couple Apple patches is far from truth. With help from Apple, Google and many independent contributors it became a bigger project. KHTML did the harder work of starting it all, but, today Webkit > KHTML.

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                  As for flash, I certainly have no love for it either. Here's hoping HTML5 and webm manages to wrestle away parts of flash's market. Open source based standards benefit competition, and competition brings better end products. Monopolies on the other hand sure as hell don't.
                  All the main pieces are in place now for HTML5 to blast Flash's market:
                  audio and video elements, audio API (FF4), SVG + SMIL, MathML, canvas element, WebGL (+ typed arrays as an very welcome extra), touch API, local storage, Indexed DB, @fonts, CSS transforms.
                  But a lot is still missing, like: audio and video input (mic, cam), miscellaneous input events (gamepad), video API.

We are getting there faster than the speed of light, thanks to Gecko's and Webkit's contributors.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. GCC is not an Apple project, of course, but they use it and they do contribute code back uptream.
                    Apple used to contribute back to GCC, but that stopped a while ago. When they switched to the GPLv3 license. Apple decided to fund LLVM instead.

Comment

We are getting there faster than the speed of light, thanks to Gecko's and Webkit's contributors.
                      Music to my ears, so I really hope you're right

Comment

Working...
                      X