X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    More and more people are talking about Linux, even computer noobs.
    Word of mouth is the best marketing ever.

-"Virus this, Vista sucks that."
    "Yeah that's why I hate Windows :')"
    -"Do you use Apple?"
    "No Linux"
    -"Yeah I heared about that. It's pretty good"

^That came from a girl who's a total computer noob. I was like; Niiiiceeee

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Yes, this is an important factor. BSD is not a worse system than Linux as far as I can tell, but it does not have such a wide driver support as a result of a much smaller install base.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    I don't care about how trendy it is either, but don't forget that with bigger adoption comes bigger hardware support. The more it is used and the more the OSS paradigm spreads the more hardware vendors will feel the pressure to release drivers for Linux. Or so I want to believe.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    I'm more interested in Linux remaining a stable and viable desktop platform than becoming popular.

As long as there is a fully functioning, Free (!!!) modern desktop and a high-quality Unix-like system underneath, I'm happy.

I don't particularly care if it has 1% or 90% of the "market". And I dislike attempts to make Linux less functioning and less Free just to appeal to people who don't care about Linux in the first place.

The most important questions are : Is it good? Is it free? Is it interoperable?

The last issue is the only one that is related to the market share. Luckily, OSS programs are becoming popular on closed platforms too (such as Firefox and OOo), so interoperability is less of a problem than it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    I dont think Linux is loosing popularity. More and more people are talking about Linux, even computer noobs. Linux is becoming more and more accepted. Linux is here to stay.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    I don't see how a piece of code can go bankrupt, but that might just be me :')

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.
    Sadly it can. When Linux will be replaced by some proprietary software on PCs, embedded devices, in HPC. Then, we can probably say it died. However, it seems Linux is the most healthy player out there.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    But, that is w3schools.com which is described at http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/w3schools.com as "Includes collection of web building tutorials.".
    True. I thought it's something like w3stats etc.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
    I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.
    You mean SCO? Don't make me laugh

It is a constant race and people are throwing elbows in eachothers faces but this is the very nature of the sport.

If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.

Leave a comment:

• DeepDayze
    replied
    I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.

But in the end Linux will only be stronger when FOSS brings out newer and better things to replace the closed source nonsense such as Flash

Leave a comment:

Working...
X