Is Linux losing popularity?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    .... only because of its association with "mobile" and "intel" and SOOOO MANY people are suffering with poulsbo and need the drivers that intel *HOPEFULLY* will eventually provide for meego.
    What about those suffering from Nvidia blobs? *Hopefully* Nvidia will manage to release a driver that doesn't hardlock when resuming from sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      .... only because of its association with "mobile" and "intel" and SOOOO MANY people are suffering with poulsbo and need the drivers that intel *HOPEFULLY* will eventually provide for meego.
      Heh... Don't bet money on that happening anytime soon. If the issues TI's had with their FOSS endeavors with the OMAP3, it's going to be...fun...getting the alternate driver even available under less restrictive terms than it is available under right now (I believe you still have to be under NDA to get access to the full deal with OMAP3 and similar stuff right now...).

Picking a core like this might be good for bang-for-buck in terms of watts consumed and overall core cost- but most of the players that're worthwhile are being at least somewhat more restrictive with this stuff than the players in the desktop space have been with things.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        What about those suffering from Nvidia blobs? *Hopefully* Nvidia will manage to release a driver that doesn't hardlock when resuming from sleep.
        I guess your mileage may vary on things. I've had few issues with my i7 laptop, purchased with an NVidia adapter for the reason that AMD's offerings were less stable overall until recently.

Comment

Maybe the declining popularity of Ubuntu as a search term means Ubuntu is losing popularity?

That doesn't mean the terms Linux, Fedora, Suse, or whatever are losing popularity.

Comment

Not with me!

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
              Lol, dude, do know what happened way back in the day when Red Hat was on the stock market? The entire financial world thought that Linux was the next Windows and the stocks literaly skyrocketed. It was going crazy.

It happened before. But Linux is like this vampire that you can't kill but only sedate (patents, yay) for a while. It isn't going away and it is far from dying, that you can bet your ass on.

Now you'll notice something similar happened with Ubuntu. Something about history and repeating or something. Well anyway I guess that's what happened.

Now there is Windows 7 and no more market depression and so everything is back to normal again. You'll even see the Apple craze fading away with those tiny worms and iPhone4 connection errors and people are starting to see Apple aint so perfect either.

So the marketing hype is gone, but Linux isn't, never was and never will. Linux is now the epic center of FLOSS colaboration of all huge companies all around the globe and so nothing bad is happening.

Just remember Linux != desktop distro's. It is in you tv, phone, watch, microwave, nuclear missile, vacuumcleaner and everything else that runs on a battery, but it certainly not a pop thing so get over it please :P

Comment

I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.

But in the end Linux will only be stronger when FOSS brings out newer and better things to replace the closed source nonsense such as Flash

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.
                  You mean SCO? Don't make me laugh

It is a constant race and people are throwing elbows in eachothers faces but this is the very nature of the sport.

If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                    But, that is w3schools.com which is described at http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/w3schools.com as "Includes collection of web building tutorials.".
                    True. I thought it's something like w3stats etc.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.
                      Sadly it can. When Linux will be replaced by some proprietary software on PCs, embedded devices, in HPC. Then, we can probably say it died. However, it seems Linux is the most healthy player out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X