X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devius
    started a topic Open-source CAD programs

Open-source CAD programs

After unintentionaly started a discussion about CAD software on linux on this thread I think it's best to continue the discussion here.

My problem is simple: there are no good open-source CAD programs, especially in the gnu/linux world.
    I've tried several of the ones that do exist and most are targeted at the mechanical or general engineering croud. What I need is something more generic, since I'm an (poor) architect, that would allow me to just get the job done. I don't need many features, just the ones that all the open-source alternatives to Autocad lack: a command-line that's always accessible where I can type commands to speed up the work process and the set of drawing aids that Autocad has. That's it. The one thing that Autocad has that no other alternayive has are these two things that just make it simple and very efficient to use.
    Oh, and I totally loathe Autocad, but it's the only program that allows me to draw any kind of technical drawing easily and quickly, like if I was drawing by hand.

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by moonpreston View Post
    A command-line that's always nearby where I can sort commands to rapidity up the work process and the position of drawing aids that Autocad has. That's it. The one thing that Autocad has that no other alternayive has is these two belongings that just create it easy and very competent to use.
    Bricscad has all that but it isn't free. I'm downloading Draftsight right now which also has all of that and is free. Let's see if it's any good.
    Also, about the package management issue, the best way to unify all the package formats would be for all software installers to be able to handle every format.

Leave a comment:

• moonpreston
    replied
    Open-source CAD programs

A command-line that's always nearby where I can sort commands to rapidity up the work process and the position of drawing aids that Autocad has. That's it. The one thing that Autocad has that no other alternayive has is these two belongings that just create it easy and very competent to use.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    As it seems noone wants to solve this problem. Heck they cant even decide on common desktop standards. (ie look at whats happening with Canonical VS Gnome VS whatever)
    Ya it is sad that they can't all agree on some standards but that is the double edge sword of opensource development. Everybody thinks that they have a better solution and it ends up fragmenting.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I think that it is a bit backwards to have every software out there maintain different packaging for each distro. It would probably be more worthwhile for linux distros decide on one package format and have every distro out there have that capability to use that one package format (they can still have their own native package management if desired and in addition to). Of course other items like FHS would have to start being enforced. This should be part of the LSB and any distro not adhering to those standards and capabilities simply would have to adopt that standard or get left behind.
    Sorry.
    It came out a bit wrong the way i wrote it in the previous message. Replace the word packages with software and it is OK i think

As it seems noone wants to solve this problem. Heck they cant even decide on common desktop standards. (ie look at whats happening with Canonical VS Gnome VS whatever)

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    They target the most popular distros. Fair enough i think.

But its 2011 and all the FOOS people MUST seat down and decide on a common way of installing packages in ALL linux distros.
    I think that it is a bit backwards to have every software out there maintain different packaging for each distro. It would probably be more worthwhile for linux distros decide on one package format and have every distro out there have that capability to use that one package format (they can still have their own native package management if desired and in addition to). Of course other items like FHS would have to start being enforced. This should be part of the LSB and any distro not adhering to those standards and capabilities simply would have to adopt that standard or get left behind.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    Nice! I've been waiting for them to release the beta for a while, but was worried when last month they removed the "beta version for linux coming soon" text from the main page.
    It's nice of them to release a beta, but what's the deal with not providing a tar.gz for those that don't use .rpm or .deb based systems? I'll have to test that on my openSUSE system later as I'm on Arch right now.

They target the most popular distros. Fair enough i think.

But its 2011 and all the FOOS people MUST seat down and decide on a common way of installing packages in ALL linux distros.

Leave a comment:

• Bitiquinho
    replied
    think BRL-CAD looks good too..... but maybe not for your purpose

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/

a draftsight beta is available for linux

not opensource but free
    Nice! I've been waiting for them to release the beta for a while, but was worried when last month they removed the "beta version for linux coming soon" text from the main page.
    It's nice of them to release a beta, but what's the deal with not providing a tar.gz for those that don't use .rpm or .deb based systems? I'll have to test that on my openSUSE system later as I'm on Arch right now.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...ad-draftsight/

a draftsight beta is available for linux

not opensource but free

Leave a comment:

Working...
X