KDE 3.5 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    I'm just wondering why everyone's bashing Dolphin or its default configuration
    As for me, I really like Dolphin as it's really easy to use and has a nice design (IMO). Its default config is just what an "average" user does need: things like file previews (you can even make it play movies or sounds), flexible file selection via mouse, icon resize by a scrolling bar. All "common" settings like icon display/arrangement style are put together in a nice interface.

At least that's my opinion about Dolphin, just to say that there are actually people who like the default config
    Dolphin's handling of corrupted or glitched media files is what really turns me off of it. It handles them about as well as the old windows explorer did with a quick crash. Konq on the other hand is as rock solid as ever.

Comment

I started with KDE too , back in 2004, i guess but i also dont like the new approach of Kde4

KDE4 first forced me to use another DE, just because it was totally buggy and lacked of many features and now that KDE4 matured iam fine with this other DE and dont wanna move back.
      Its just my humble opinion , but i really dont like the new look and feel and i just cant get used to it, i have always the feeling that it lacks of somethimng or that its just not well-enginerred.

I dont wanna start a fight about certain applications or decions that were made, but i meet quite a lot pople who have changed the DE cos of the 4.x Kde.

Comment

Originally posted by dosenpfand View Post
        I dont wanna start a fight about certain applications or decions that were made, but i meet quite a lot pople who have changed the DE cos of the 4.x Kde.
        Goes both ways though, I know a lot of people that have switched to KDE4.x because of it's new features, looks etc from other desktops. You can't please everyone and you will always have old die hards that resist because of the requirements of them having to change their usual workpaths.

Comment

I think the newer releases of KDE 4, such as 4.3, are every bit as good as 3.5. Only thing I never liked was the kickoff menu of KDE 4, but just right clicking on the menu button and clicking classic menu style fixes that problem. I had some grudges with Dolphin as well out of the box but tinkering around with the configuration made me happy.

Maybe I'm just easy to please? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Goes both ways though, I know a lot of people that have switched to KDE4.x because of it's new features, looks etc from other desktops. You can't please everyone and you will always have old die hards that resist because of the requirements of them having to change their usual workpaths.
            I'm one of this people as well. Used Gnome for 9 continual years till tried KDE4 two months ago and stayed there. It's terrific. Something new finally. Everything else Gnome, KDE3, Windows,OSX have the same thinking. Different things that you can add to your desktop and different for panels. With KDE4 everything is just one thing. People just have to get used to the idea that it approaches the Desktop in a different way. Unfortunately old habbits die last of all.

Comment

It funny how many items are being mentioned as being missing from KDE3 but they have just relocated it.
              Silly me for looking in the section called "Keyboard shortcuts" when looking for keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

Most of us "old diehards" just prefer working as we always have is all. No worries of course because eventually we will eventually die off anyways, and it is certainly understandable that acquiring new customers takes precedence over retaining old loyal ones.

Just last week I had a cable salesman come to my door offering all kinds of bargains because I would be a "new" subscriber. He was quite taken aback when I told him I would never forgive his company for the treatment I received from them 8 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by iseggev View Post
                  Silly me for looking in the section called "Keyboard shortcuts" when looking for keyboard shortcuts.
                  I'm terribly curious now; what does "Keyboard shortcuts" do?

I don't use any DE, only applications. My problem with KDE4 apps is that I find them slower than their 3.5 counterparts. Kile, for instance, lags in my machine when I select text and scroll down (or up). Come on, it's just regular text, not a freaking pdf, it should be lightning fast. Then there is this chrome thing all around the menus that makes me nuts. Just moving the cursor about hits the CPU. Which is probably the same reason why KDE4 applications display garbage when run through a VNC session, forcing you to grab a VNC server supporting the render extension (not that easy when I tried).

So my perception of KDE4, without actually having used it as a whole DE, is that they sacrificed efficiency and functionality for aesthetics. But hey, this way some moron can get out the streets and shoot a video making people believe that KDE4 is the new Windows thing.

Comment

Your perception is wrong. I speak from experience.
                    Experience is more important than perception and guessing in things like that.

Comment

Of course, of course, that's why I said upfront that I didn't use the whole thing. But of course the impression I have doesn't com from thin air either. I use 2 KDE applications everyday, Kile and Kate, and noticed they don't perform as well as the KDE 3 versions. Kopete didn't work last time I tried to upgrade it so I'm holding it back. I run into some nuisances with three out of 4, perhaps 5 KDE applications I use from time to time. Add to that the VNC issue--which I believe affects all KDE 4 applications--and I'm bound to have a bad perception of KDE 4, despite all the pretty screenshots of the world, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X