KDE 3.5 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, my current DE is KDE 3.5.10.

Every time when I try KDE 4.x.x I feel disgusted - everything seems to be incomplete and unfinished.

Besides, KDE 3.5.10 is rock solid - I've never had a single app crashing (except Konqueror - but I don't use it).

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      its not like kde 3.5 doesnt work still. Personally I like it better then 4. FOSS is a beautiful thing, especially in that you get your freedom to choose. So if you dont like KDE 4, say fuck it and compile yourself 3.5. People will tell you how great KDE4 is, they can all take a hike. You are given this freedom to have your computer work the way you want and it is only you that should pick whats best for it. Block others opinions, work with facts, and trust in yourself.
      Yes, but eventually the distributions that still distribute 3.5.10 will drop support which leaves security patches up to the end user. How many users do you know that are willing to patch their own software?

For better or worse kde4 is the future, rather than saying "fuck it" why not point out to the kde developers what needs to be fixed so kde4 doesn't suck to you? They seem to be more open to external suggestion than other desktop environment developers.

Comment

Dolphin is broken for me until the optional dirtree on the left shows the root directory.

As for the rest, I hate how it feels and looks, which is entirely subjective. Nothing can be done about it and I don't expect anything to be done about it. I'm just riding 3.5 into the ground. Once it is no longer receiving security patches I'll have to do something else.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
          Am I just stuck in my ways or does anyone else find KDE 4.3 to be complete garbage. I've been using Linux since 2003 and I've always loved and used the "K Desktop Environment". Now it seems they are taking this brand a completely different direction... Hell KDE doesn't even stand for anything anymore I just want my old desktop back
          I'm getting the impression that you are the kind of person who might be happier with a powerful WM like xmonad or awesome rather than a full blown DE. If you are anything like me, you spend 80% of your time at the command line and can probably get by on "desktop features" with a standalone systray, conky, maybe xmobar or dzen2, etc etc.

I have been using kde4 more lately because I use a lot of kde/qt applications; particularly the kdepim apps. I find kde4 to be very feature rich. The reasons to upgrade will become more and more compelling as it gains more features and packages kde3 relies upon become more legacy and incompatible with current versions.

In the end, unless you can't live without plasma widgets, wobbly windows, and all of the kde backends, all kde really does for you is provide a star... erm, 'k' menu. You can actually run all the current kde applications and get the same exact thing without even running kde.

In a nutshell, kde is the the world's most complicated program that does absolutely nothing.

Comment

Sucks in what way?

Well, for me KDE 4.x Sucks on Memory usage. It's painful, really.
            1xxMB on KDE 3.5.10 Debian Lenny,
            4xxMB on KDE 4.3.2 Kubuntu.

Ouch.
            I wish then can lower KDE 4.x memory requirement.

Btw,
            I love both version. But in Visual, I prefer KDE 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
              Dolphin is broken for me until the optional dirtree on the left shows the root directory.

As for the rest, I hate how it feels and looks, which is entirely subjective. Nothing can be done about it and I don't expect anything to be done about it. I'm just riding 3.5 into the ground. Once it is no longer receiving security patches I'll have to do something else.
              Like this:

Know ye software and it won't bite ya matey

Comment

On my system (Archlinux x86_64) currently, rekonq, konsole, dolphin, ksysguard and akregator are running and memory usage is 383 MB.

Well, honestly I cant consider this sucking on memory usage at all.

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Ouch.

Btw,
                I love both version. But in Visual, I prefer KDE 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Ouch.
                  That is kind of an unfair comparison, ubuntu has always used more ram than debian. You should install the backported kde4 from debian-desktop.org or compile it yourself on lenny (just install it in /opt) to get an accurate assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    That is kind of an unfair comparison, ubuntu has always used more ram than debian. You should install the backported kde4 from debian-desktop.org or compile it yourself on lenny (just install it in /opt) to get an accurate assessment.
                    Yep, you're right!
                    My Debian Squeeze KDE 4.3.x use only ~26xMB.
                    Silly me to compare debian with kubuntu, hehe..

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                      The easy way is to click the icon at start of path, root is one of the options there. I don't even use the dirtree, nor do I think dolphin is that important. It annoys me much more than Gwenview is completely broken for a download folder. It'll show some pics, then try showing a movie and crash. And you can't stop it from playing movies, WTF?

Comment

Working...
                      X