KDE 3.5 rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 3.5 rant

Am I just stuck in my ways or does anyone else find KDE 4.3 to be complete garbage. I've been using Linux since 2003 and I've always loved and used the "K Desktop Environment". Now it seems they are taking this brand a completely different direction... Hell KDE doesn't even stand for anything anymore I just want my old desktop back

I felt the same way, but after a couple days of decent use I now use it primarily. It's better in some regards, worse in others. =) That said, it doesn't have that "awesomeness" that is exclusive to kde 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      Am I just stuck in my ways or does anyone else find KDE 4.3 to be complete garbage. I've been using Linux since 2003 and I've always loved and used the "K Desktop Environment". Now it seems they are taking this brand a completely different direction... Hell KDE doesn't even stand for anything anymore I just want my old desktop back
      In my feeling they went in Gnome direction in some way (removed some features) - Dolphin compared to Konqueror, Dragonplayer which is Totem like in my opinion and thus it's useless for me, Juk - no comments. As a whole DE I found KDE4.3.x much better then 3.5.x. I don't know if you're just trolling "...does anyone else find KDE 4.3 to be complete garbage" or not, but could you at least give some examples of its disadvantages compared to good, old KDE 3.5.x?

Comment

Yes, you're just stuck in your ways

I guess you should dig a bit into how to tweak KDE4. There's a whole crapload of settings, especially in Dolphin: when I first saw Dolphin, my impression was "who the hell would write such a crap file manager?" After learning that it can be tweaked to death, which I did, I now think it's one of the best file managers ever. Pretty much the same is true for other parts of KDE too.

PS:
        Some of the defaults in KDE4 *are* silly, especially for people coming from KDE3. Also, I realized a while ago that I got used to KDE4 so much that when I needed to use KDE3 in another system again my first thought was how the hell I was able to put up with that for such a long time in the past
        Last edited by RealNC; 12 December 2009, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I guess you should dig a bit into how to tweak KDE4. There's a whole crapload of settings, especially in Dolphin: when I first saw Dolphin, my impression was "who the hell would write such a crap file manager?" After learning that it can be tweaked to death, which I did, I now think it's one of the best file managers ever
          I had the same feeling when I saw Dolphin first. I used Krusader before, but now I just love Dolphin.

Comment

its not like kde 3.5 doesnt work still. Personally I like it better then 4. FOSS is a beautiful thing, especially in that you get your freedom to choose. So if you dont like KDE 4, say fuck it and compile yourself 3.5. People will tell you how great KDE4 is, they can all take a hike. You are given this freedom to have your computer work the way you want and it is only you that should pick whats best for it. Block others opinions, work with facts, and trust in yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              So if you dont like KDE 4, say fuck it and compile yourself 3.5. People will tell you how great KDE4 is, they can all take a hike. You are given this freedom to have your computer work the way you want and it is only you that should pick whats best for it. Block others opinions, work with facts, and trust in yourself.
              Show me the facts in the first post in this topic, so we'll be able to "work with facts". What a bull...

Comment

ughh ill try to play the cow then.

listing features in programs = facts
                listing opinions = well, opinions

the first post is an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. I beg you to disagree.

First post, first asks peoples opinions according to KDE. at least 2 things can come of this.

1. Prove that he is an old fart, to himself.
                2. Prove that KDE 4 is garbage.

Unfortunately because they are strictly opinions they prove nothing. He ends the first post by stating he wants his old desktop back. I made it quite clear to go with what he is happy with.

Kraftman, you are asking him for examples as to why it is bad. This helps provide an argument for the overall debate, which is good. But in the context of this 1 user it is best to say go with his gut because regardless of what is "better", kde 3 is best for him. After all, isnt what is better simply an opinion on its own?

I hope i understood correctly and cleaned that up.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  ughh ill try to play the cow then.

listing features in programs = facts
                  listing opinions = well, opinions

the first post is an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. I beg you to disagree.

First post, first asks peoples opinions according to KDE. at least 2 things can come of this.

1. Prove that he is an old fart, to himself.
                  2. Prove that KDE 4 is garbage.

Unfortunately because they are strictly opinions they prove nothing. He ends the first post by stating he wants his old desktop back. I made it quite clear to go with what he is happy with.

Kraftman, you are asking him for examples as to why it is bad. This helps provide an argument for the overall debate, which is good. But in the context of this 1 user it is best to say go with his gut because regardless of what is "better", kde 3 is best for him. After all, isnt what is better simply an opinion on its own?

I hope i understood correctly and cleaned that up.
                  That's clear, but there's also option he's a troll, because he didn't gave any examples

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    In my feeling they went in Gnome direction in some way (removed some features) - Dolphin compared to Konqueror, Dragonplayer which is Totem like in my opinion and thus it's useless for me, Juk - no comments. As a whole DE I found KDE4.3.x much better then 3.5.x. I don't know if you're just trolling "...does anyone else find KDE 4.3 to be complete garbage" or not, but could you at least give some examples of its disadvantages compared to good, old KDE 3.5.x?
                    I wouldn't say it's garbage but I do have to admit that 3.5 is farmore feature rich then the 4.x series when it comes to multimedia. Phonon simply needs some advanced configuration options with respect to it's backend usage. Something as simple as AC-3 pass through requires editing the config files. While I find dolphin better then gnomes nautilus I do feel that it is no where near as refined as konq was. The only real noticeable improvement to kde 4 apps was ktorrent which is better IMHO then the the KDE3 version. Apps like Amarok and kaffiene are neutered pretty heavily yet and bluetooth support isn't yet up to par with KDE3 either.

Comment

Working...
                    X