AMD Acquires Another AI Company To Expand Its Enterprise AI Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Acquires Another AI Company To Expand Its Enterprise AI Solutions

Phoronix: AMD Acquires Another AI Company To Expand Its Enterprise AI Solutions

Following their acquisition last year of open-source AI provider Nod.ai and other AI investments, AMD today announced they are acquiring Silo AI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...and yet another European tech company gets swallowed up by an American corporation.

How is Europe ever going to develop an independent and thriving tech industry when regulators constantly allow such acquisitions to happen?

I'm all for international open markets, but there is a geopolitical aspects to consider here.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
      ...and yet another European tech company gets swallowed up by an American corporation.

How is Europe ever going to develop an independent and thriving tech industry when regulators constantly allow such acquisitions to happen?

I'm all for international open markets, but there is a geopolitical aspects to consider here.
      Read the very next sentence of the press release that Michael didn't quote:

“At Silo AI, our mission from the start has been to build an AI flagship company. Today's announcement is a logical next step in that pursuit as we join forces with AMD to shape the future of AI computing,” said Peter Sarlin, CEO and co-founder of Silo AI.
      Their goal was to be bought out. It it wasn't then next logical step would have been to lessen their dependency on AMD by either making their own hardware to compete with other world-wide companies or to expand their AI from working on more than AMD hardware and to then start selling an AI based SaaS; perhaps both.

Comment

It's a free market. Regulations usually stifle innovations.

Comment

It's really a skill issue. America has all the talent, investment and resources and so it makes logical sense to incorporate the returns of that investment back into the mainland. It's not like EU would have any tech companies if it wasn't for the bedrock which America built and so EU should just appreciate the privilege of even having computers.

It does look like AMD is finally divesting from Linux: Silo OS. It was just a matter of time.

Comment

Use your voice to tell your govt to stop using 🇺🇸💲, use yuan, or better yet, your local currency...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Read the very next sentence of the press release that Michael didn't quote:

Their goal was to be bought out. It it wasn't then next logical step would have been to lessen their dependency on AMD by either making their own hardware to compete with other world-wide companies or to expand their AI from working on more than AMD hardware and to then start selling an AI based SaaS; perhaps both.

Being bought out is the easy mode to retirement, SaaS means they need to keep running their company instead of retire and sail around the Med for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxNoob View Post

Being bought out is the easy mode to retirement, SaaS means they need to keep running their company instead of retire and sail around the Med for a few years.
                I'm not knocking them for it. If I could sell something, profit millions, and never have to worry again I'd do it in a heartbeat and move to Nordic Europe or Iceland.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not knocking them for it. If I could sell something, profit millions, and never have to worry again I'd do it in a heartbeat and move to Nordic Europe or Iceland.

Neither was I, it was just a comment.

Comment

Even as an American I upvoted you. But you must understand, and if you are European you should intimately understand, there are no true sovereign states anymore. If your country is part of the EU then you are by default part of a larger confederacy where certain amounts of your sovereignty are sidelined for the good of the larger collective. It’s the same with any particular state here in the United States of America, where at the beginning of our history when our first “constitution” was the Articles of Confederation states were looked upon by their own leaders as sovereign countries, not states, much like the EU of today.

Now….broaden your scope out. AMD just bought a European company . But both are members of NATO. Yet another type of extra-sovereign confederation dealing with international security issues and in particular the shared security of each of its member states.

Now, broaden out even further. Both AMD and the company they purchased operated as capitalistic entities neither of which could operate without banks and financiers. This is true for all companies and is even true for entire nations.

So in the end, as long as the world operates as it does the only real sovereign state are the banks. And every state’s individual sovereignty is defined and limited by the confederations and organizations they are joined to outside said sovereign boundaries.
                    Last edited by Jumbotron; 10 July 2024, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X