Clear All

• ol3geezer
    replied
    no idea how these have not been banned

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    Most Sony electronics are comparatively expensive here because Sony know people will buy it to support a Japanese company,
    FWIW, I've long observed a Sony "price premium" on their products in the USA. I can't say it still applies like it used to, but for things like TVs and consumer audio, there had long been a distinct markup for the Sony name.

Other than video game consoles, the first Sony product I bought in about 2 decades was their noise-cancelling headphones (WH-100XM3) and they were even better than the Bose ones I'd been using (both purchased for about the same price). They're holding up better, too. I'm going on 4 years of daily usage.

Before that, I guess I bought a minidisc player/recorder I got to do field recordings, because it could drive a powered mic. Prior to that, I got a couple Sony discmans, one of which actually had a Toslink output which sold me on it.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised they're currently expensive in Japan, as the manufacturing partnership with Sony seemed to be what solved the supply (and pricing) problems of Pi's for most of us, around the time of Pi 5's launch.
    Sony treat Japanese consumers pretty poorly overall. The US and EU were prioritised with supply of the PS5 when it was launched, and prices and availability of the PS5 were crazy here for a long time. The same with the PS4 Pro. Most Sony electronics are comparatively expensive here because Sony know people will buy it to support a Japanese company, even if >90% (don't have exact figure, I know a few things are made here in Japan) of their electronics are actually made in China.

I really like Sony mobile (cell) phones, but they are far too expensive.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    No, I expect you to understand that 36>21.
    edit: And that that 21 gives MORE than the 36.
    well yes... i unterstand now.
    but i do not think this is right because these random x86 mini PCs have very bad power efficiency
    if you develop a device with that and you run it over 10 years because of the electricity bill it could be that the pi5 is more cost effcient even if the price is higher.

this is even more true if you go with the orange pi 5 what is produced in 8nm..

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

and you expect that people around the world unterstand the japanese ¥ prices ?

"If I want performance in software, I'm not going to run it on an ARM SBC"

i mean for real in a short periot of time we will have high performance ARM SOC/SBC....

but it looks like it will not come as a pi...
    No, I expect you to understand that 36>21.

edit: And that that 21 gives MORE than the 36.

Leave a comment:

• akkowicz
    replied
    I've bought a Mini PC in Poland with dual NICs, N100, 16GB of DDR5 and 512GB SSD for the same price as basic Raspberry Pi 5 4GB starter kit.
    Running latest Ubuntu Server LTS on it - support is perfect, everything works and it has been rock solid.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    I live in Japan, yes, so prices here are what I care about because importing can be prohibitively expensive. As an example, some enterprise grade SSDs which are made by a Japanese company are four times more expensive here than they are in the US. I report prices here because prices in the US or EU are meaningless for me. ¥21,000 is about 125EUR, without tax.
    If I want performance in software, I'm not going to run it on an ARM SBC, and the mini-PCs are more upgradable.
    and you expect that people around the world unterstand the japanese ¥ prices ?

"If I want performance in software, I'm not going to run it on an ARM SBC"

i mean for real in a short periot of time we will have high performance ARM SOC/SBC....

but it looks like it will not come as a pi...

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Robust0522 View Post
    The success of the pi was never based on performance. It was based on price and community support. Arm is a bit of a mess when it comes to software support but the pi is a product that you can be confident will have long term support.
    Don't forget that many of the hobbyist use cases for the Pi family of computers do not require high performance.
    some experts in this field told me there are cheaper socs i mean much cheaper socs but they mostly end with the Pi becase its the cheapest with full 64bit ARM isa...
    right now its cheaper to pay premium for 64bit to not have to split the development to also support 32bit.

so its not only the price... it also looks like the upstream community support has moved away from pi-..

but what keeps the most people in PI is the downstream support means older linux versions old stable debian versions for example.

the orange pi 5 for example can compete upstream with community support but can not compete downstream.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    I live in Japan, yes, so prices here are what I care about because importing can be prohibitively expensive. As an example, some enterprise grade SSDs which are made by a Japanese company are four times more expensive here than they are in the US. I report prices here because prices in the US or EU are meaningless for me. ¥21,000 is about 125EUR, without tax.
    To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised they're currently expensive in Japan, as the manufacturing partnership with Sony seemed to be what solved the supply (and pricing) problems of Pi's for most of us, around the time of Pi 5's launch.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post
    are you from japan ? its highly questionable if you can save money this way. if the technology is worse.
    there are multiple scenarios where on the long run you would be better with the more expensive alternative.

one is performance in the future you want to use a software thats need higher performance but your slower money saving solution does not support it. the more expensive one would make a expensive replacement null and void..
    same for ram in the future you want to use a app that need more ram... your money saving solution again would hurt you. means you need to buy a new system with the cheaper solution.

i am from germany i have no clue what ¥21,000 means...

If I want performance in software, I'm not going to run it on an ARM SBC, and the mini-PCs are more upgradable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X