Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Serves Up A Tasty IPO On The London Stock Exchange

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Serves Up A Tasty IPO On The London Stock Exchange

Raspberry Pi carried out a successful IPO today on the London Stock Exchange...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon Raspberry Pi's will become enshittified by the greed of shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
      Indeed, something about this doesn't sit right.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
        That happened a long time ago. The only difference now is that it's public shareholders.

Comment

I've basically given up on RPis recently. A low-end mini-PC works out basically the same price here. Elsewhere may be different but RPis are extortionately expensive in Japan when compared to some of the Celeron-based mini-PCs now available. My tinkering SBC is now RISC-V...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
            I've basically given up on RPis recently. A low-end mini-PC works out basically the same price here. Elsewhere may be different but RPis are extortionately expensive in Japan when compared to some of the Celeron-based mini-PCs now available. My tinkering SBC is now RISC-V...
            Y'know there's more out there than just RPi for ARM, right?

Comment

I don't think I will purchase another RaspberryPI. I really detest this turning their back on the mission that helped them get where they are. Even if I want to support a UK technology company. Of course they have claimed aren't, but going public necessarily means prioritising your shareholders over any greater good. Similar to companies who market themselves as open source and then close their licence when they have become successful.

It's one thing to prioritise people who have made a business using your product, I could charitably understand the logic behind that move. But it's clear now that this was a cynical choice made to ensure a successful IPO and not the success of the community built around the PI.

Comment

RIP Raspberry Pi. It was a PITA, anyway.

Comment

Tough crowd. I like the RPI. More than just a 'mini-PC' to me. I don't see a problem with going public and get more resources for more/better products ... and make money for the shareholders along the way who stick out their neck to 'invest'. After all the market is where most of our 'retirement' funds are located .

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I don't care about ideology, just is the investment financially sound.

The IPO showed the stock debuting at the higher end of the range and it popped 40% almost immediately.

I think it's overvalued at the moment, due for a market correction, I would be surprised if there isn't some significant profit taking by people that bought immediately and want to make a quick buck.

Once it normalizes I think it may be a wise investment as I think they may be primed for a purchase by NVIDIA or AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X