GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhptitotoss View Post

lol yeah right nvidia just keeps milking folks with those overpriced cards and they think were all fools dont know any better well news flash ppl arent stupid they see through the bs and AMD aint no saint either acting like they care with all that vram but in the end its all talk no game no real support just a bunch of hot air and what for to keep the prices sky high like we made of money or something but whatever i aint falling for that i keep my eye on the real deal no shiny distractions gonna fool me
    Is the period key on your keyboard broken?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

The issue is that when people talk about equity and equality they mean equal outcomes, which is contrary to how life works.

The sad truth is that some people are smarter than others, some people work harder than others and some people find contentment with simpler accomplishments.

Note that I am in no way saying any group is less or more intelligent or motivated than any other group.

The reality is that all men are not created equal, I am never going to win the Super Bowl, I will never be heavyweight champion of the world, I will never run the 100 meter dash in anything resembling 10 seconds, I will never prove any of the Millennium Prize‚Äč Problems, I will never be POTUS nor will I ever be a member of SCOTUS.

And that's OK.

The DEI people would have you believe that every member of a "marginalized" group should have an equal chance of achieving any of those goals, but I see no reason why that should be.
      True, not every pupil is going to get top grades. Some are more stupid., other learn in a different way. That's why it makes sense to support the worse ones with extra lessons and the ones which learn in a different way with a different approach.

The goal is not that everybody is able to win the Superbowl. Like you said, that's unrealistic. They should be archivable by a large percentage of the population (or the group of people under consideration). And like you said, in reality not everybody will yield the same outcome. This is a theoretical construct after all and people are not machines. The idea is that people should individually supported to enable them to reach the goal. I.e. if the goal is that people should travel from A to B in a city "by foot", the proper support for disabled people could be e.g. wheelchair ramps and accoustic signals at cross-roads (depending on the kind of disability). Support for elder people could be park benches so that they can sit down on the way... Something like that. The idea is that people have the same opportunity to attain the goal. Nothing more, nothing less.
      Last edited by oleid; 24 May 2024, 02:51 AM.

Comment

That's not a strategy that's a wish-list. A strategy would be how to accomplish these goals.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Nonsense. Not a single dollar from Sovereign Tech Fund is being spent on conferences since they are clearly earmarked for specific projects. Regardless of that, conferences are immensely helpful to bring people together and motivate people to work together. This is especially true for open source communities who don't have the benefit of face to face interactions all that often. This is why all of the non-profit open source foundations invest in them. I doubt you can name even a single one that doesn't.
          gnome funds are spent there when they could be spent on more productive stuff

covid taught people the basics of working remotely, video conferencing and so on. Now we only need covid2 so people can master it, instead of spending all the money, time and effort that goes into organizing a conference for an international group. In such a group it can even alienate less well off developers that cannot afford to attend.
          Last edited by varikonniemi; 24 May 2024, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Why surely, DEI is going to be the silver bullet.

As the saying goes--

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              covid taught people the basics of working remotely, video conferencing and so on.
              It also taught people the value of in-person interaction.

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              In such a group it can even alienate less well off developers that cannot afford to attend.
              Financial assistance for attending such conferences is a large part of the spending associated with these conferences.

Comment

how about making tools that make people think "we need conferences for this stuff" first?
                all is see is blatant discrimination and circlejerk conferences where only members of the sekrit club meet...
                no one cares about the gnome foundation because the gnome project does not care about users, how about fixing that first? I'm sure the gnome project would do just fine without the foundation but the opposite is not true, I can't believe how out-of-touch with reality these people are, I guess that explain the deranged ceo hire...

Comment

Originally posted by Doomer View Post
                  how about making tools that make people think "we need conferences for this stuff" first?
                  Well, people working on those tools obviously think it is of value to meet in person to improve how the work together.
                  So that step has already been taken.

Originally posted by Doomer View Post
                  all is see is blatant discrimination and circlejerk conferences where only members of the sekrit club meet...
                  Such conferences are neither secret and rarely restricted, especially community events such as GUADEC, Akademy, FOSDEM, etc.

There is often a lot of local interest and many people attending who use the opportunity of such a conference happening in their region.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

KDE project or KDE eV?

The joke is on you. This is about GNOME foundation, not GNOME.
                    Defenders of that garbage are the joke including you. They talk about Gnome - read the thing over again.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

No, they don't. They mean equity opportunities, not outcomes. Let's give you a specific example. I have sight issues. Equality involves treating everyone the same which doesn't allow me to work. Equity in this case requires employers have special accommodations to address my accessibility concerns and it also happens to be a legal requirement in some countries. That doesn't guarantee any kind of outcomes equivalent to the best programmers nor is it expected. It merely allows me the opportunity to do so.
                      BS - if it was between you and one of the other 'marginalized groups' - you'd lose out because it's about them prioritizing ppl - which is what that guy said. Jeez, so many morons on here....

Comment

Working...
                      X