GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Racist? That's not the correct word in this context.

Treading all people equal is not what is good for everyone. In some cases equality and equity yield to the same results, i.e. for elections. Everybodys vote has the same weight. Yet, in many cases equality doesn't equate equity.
    Some people need less support for the same outcome, others more. It is like giving everybody shoes of the same size 42 because that's the average shoe size. It might fit for some people, but not for everyone. There are even people without legs that don't have a need for shoes.

The issue is that when people talk about equity and equality they mean equal outcomes, which is contrary to how life works.

The sad truth is that some people are smarter than others, some people work harder than others and some people find contentment with simpler accomplishments.

Note that I am in no way saying any group is less or more intelligent or motivated than any other group.

The reality is that all men are not created equal, I am never going to win the Super Bowl, I will never be heavyweight champion of the world, I will never run the 100 meter dash in anything resembling 10 seconds, I will never prove any of the Millennium Prize​ Problems, I will never be POTUS nor will I ever be a member of SCOTUS.

And that's OK.

The DEI people would have you believe that every member of a "marginalized" group should have an equal chance of achieving any of those goals, but I see no reason why that should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomer View Post
      I still don't understand why this foundation even exists... None of the things they said they will do actually matter to anyone outside the foundation, the foundation exists to please the foundation, tell me how this is not some elaborate money laundering scheme...
      It would seem that you understand it just fine.

Comment

Gotta love Marxists, 5-year plans, and DEI.Soyuz Sovyetskikh.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          The DEI people would have you believe that every member of a "marginalized" group should have an equal chance of achieving any of those goals, but I see no reason why that should be.
          I think its worse than that, they wan't to prioritise those people over others, so for example if there's a white man applying for a job and a black man applying for the same job job, they will pick the black man because of the colour of his skin, even if the white man is better qualified, so they're discriminating against people based on skin colour, or gender, or sexual preference, that's messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Okay. He's blind and he probably focuses on blind accessibility. But there are other disabilities with different needs and those aren't solved. Theming is essential for some disabilities, for example. As someone said, ASD and such requires theming.
            The only essential theming that is relevant for accessibility is high contrast which all major desktop environments have always supported. Also the accessibility framework is not focused on only blind users. You should have read the relevant links instead of guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

The issue is that when people talk about equity and equality they mean equal outcomes
              No, they don't. They mean equity opportunities, not outcomes. Let's give you a specific example. I have sight issues. Equality involves treating everyone the same which doesn't allow me to work. Equity in this case requires employers have special accommodations to address my accessibility concerns and it also happens to be a legal requirement in some countries. That doesn't guarantee any kind of outcomes equivalent to the best programmers nor is it expected. It merely allows me the opportunity to do so.

Comment

After 13 years they finally allowed you to edit the path in the file manager.

I look forward to the next 13 years where they'll hopefully allow proper window tiling on a second monitor and horizontal tiling to both. Currently one has to install tiling assistant for the best experience.

Comment

its about outlining the strategic vision of the foundation, and shouldnt be taken literally

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

The only essential theming that is relevant for accessibility is high contrast which all major desktop environments have always supported. Also the accessibility framework is not focused on only blind users. You should have read the relevant links instead of guessing.

Excuse me, but you have zero clue about how diverse are the accessibility needs.

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    Hope that includes people who want to use themes.

Contrary to the popular belief that theming is an "unproductive waste of time", they actually have a practical use case. Not long ago I stumbled upon a Mastodon tweet of someone who has ASD and some sensory issues. They maintain their own red tinted GTK theme for years (despite Gnome making it more and more difficult), because otherwise using the computer becomes intolerable for them.
                    I'll research about it. I've seen that stuff in both Linux and Windows computers many years ago too. If nobody does a reply about it, I'll do it.

Comment

Moksha DE here i come...

Comment

Working...
                      X