No announcement yet.

GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's also this in the strategic plan. Another thing GNOME aren't hiding anymore... that they see Freedesktop as part of themselves, no wonder Freedesktop also shut out contributions from outsiders they don't like LOL. Arrogant as hell.

"Emphasize that Linux desktops depend on GNOME technology, free desktop stack, a full desktop stack."

Last edited by mxan; 23 May 2024, 02:57 PM.

Comment

a nice feature (for me at least) on phoronix.com is a filter of what you don't want to read. gnome probably will be the only thing on that list. i don't hate gnome...i just find it so ugly that every time i see a screenshot of that bulky interface i get goosebumps.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

As long as there is a C API one can use, it doesn't really matter if the core is in C, C++ or rust.
        Creating a C API ontop of C++ or Rust is a poorer solution. You would need to make extern "C" wrapper functions for every single class method or equivalent.

This is why it is not common practice to do that within the industry.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 23 May 2024, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I have a 5 year plan to become a better person, broken down into a couple steps

1. be a slightly better person
          2. be an even more slightly better person
          3. Ill try to be even more better then before
          4. Have I said I'll becomes even better? this is critical.

Comment

Yet another glorified PR department of an open source project that always speaks in vague hyperbole, and sets lofty, unrealistic goals with no actual work to show for it. Not to mention the seemingly shady money management of the foundation as posted by a contributor.

All these useless positions are created specifically to pad the DEI resume.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That hasn't stopped 99% of the industry so far.

I found this the other day. Quite interesting.

https://sources.debian.org/stats/
              • C - 41%
              • C++ - 25.7%
              • Others - Equally ~5%
              In the industry, you do tend to see more Java/.NET.
              This are stats for open source apps only, right?
              I was referring to apps because of which people still use windows, apps like office and Photoshop. Both are written in c++. There is a reason why companies prefer c++ over c. This doesn't mean c is not used.

Another example would be kwin used by valve. Why didn't they opt out for mutter?

Per my experience, Java usually doesn't run on desktop, but rather web. Dotnet desktop apps are used a lot in corporates

Gtk JavaScript and python bindings are officially supported. Others not really. This works fine for an mp3 player or something, but I really don't see this used elsewhere. Not sure if this changes.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
                > Increase commercial and economic value of GNOME

I wonder what this means.

If this means getting compabjes to make apps for gnome, I don't see this happening with a C based toolkit.
                Being C based is actually one of the strengths of GTK, because being C based means you can easily create bindings for it in many languages.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

When they say expanding the community, they don't mean getting more users... they mean getting on more companies. GNOME's community is not the average Joe and Jane - it's the likes of Red Hat, Collabora, Igalia, and Purism. Everyone else are just expendable outsiders who don't matter to the project, and the in-group of contributors have no trouble making it clear when they've decided you're not part of them.
                  So my translator and I are having trouble understanding-translating this sentence.​
                  ""- Relate to bigger “outward” world by making GNOME directly relevant and attractive to many more diverse people"""

Comment

I was really hoping their 5 year plan's first step was to stop development of Gnome and the second step would be to disband completely and the third step is that they all go back to their one true passion, selling gelato on a street corner.

Comment

This are stats for open source apps only, right?
                      Yep. Which does explain the lower amount of "business/VM" languages like .NET/Java.

However, it still has some importance, because it still provides the main platform libraries / dependencies for the commercial software to be based upon. For example .NET tends to not have much of a foothold on Linux because there are fewer .NET libraries available than Windows. Companies will avoid bindings when possible.

I was referring to apps because of which people still use windows, apps like office and Photoshop. Both are written in c++. There is a reason why companies prefer c++ over c. This doesn't mean c is not used.
                      Indeed. A mixture of C and C++ but mainly because the latter is close to a superset of C. Things like Rust / Go are not going to see that same uptake.

Weirdly the C++ code in those kind of ancient codebases is going to be closer to ANSI C than "modern" C++ anyway. It ends up being a big ol' messy blur.

Another example would be kwin used by valve. Why didn't they opt out for mutter?
                      I imagine that Valve doesn't really have in-house expertise these days, they usually travel light and just hire/contract whoever already has experience with something in a specific area and go with their direction. There is a big push towards this approach within the games sector.

(that and of course, language aside, many people try to stay the fsck(8) away from Gnome related projects for longer lived projects so I wouldn't blame them for going with kwin, even if it was written in BASIC).
                      Last edited by kpedersen; 23 May 2024, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X