GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Looks like you agree with what I said about equity.
    Yeah, I agree with you. Frankly, I'm more of a justice person.

I don't know anything about DEI nor do I care about what that means since it seems to be US specific and I don't work there. All of you people over there seem weirdly obsessed about some topics that seem to change every few years and want to talk about it constantly . Rest of us don't care about any of that.
    DEI is the American term for the stance you're taking. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion. It's making sure those who aren't well off are taken care of at the detriment and expense of those who have more than others. You should care because Fascists against it are spreading like wildfire in all practically all NATO and Western countries.

Frankly, I'd love to be able to care less about any of it, but over here the situation is bad. Anything that sounds like kindness, caring, and compassion is weaponized against you as you being one of those woke people.​ While to people like us wokeness is just caring about others regardless of circumstances, to them, woke is a code that means taking away white privilege to ensure everyone is treated equally.

DEI is their champion cause of anti-white wokeness. You low key outed a lot of racists in this thread . They're the ones on the tall stack in the Reality box. They'll trickle down a crate any day now .

Based on the sizes of the child and pitcher, I recon there's a GI Joe action figure manning 2nd base in the Justice slide

Comment

• > "Create Explosive Growth of Our Community of Creators and Users"

This sound like exponential growth. Which is an unfeasible goal (one that making plans to achieve for ends up in delusion).

> Unify our “inward” community around a shared vision

Okay...

> Relate to bigger “outward” world by making GNOME directly relevant and attractive to many more diverse people

Fair enough. While I've seen a lot of shit on this point as if it is "positively racist", I do think that this is maybe the best point in the whole list... Hear me out.

GNOME/Linux alternatives cost money, spy on you and have (had proven to have) US/CIA backdoors. There are only a few opensource desktop envs, GNOME is likely the biggest and one of the top 5 most end-user friendly. Open source has historically been more white, but has a lot of opportunities in the "global south". Investing in this transition into a more global-population-representative community could be a sound strategic goal.

> Increase commercial and economic value of GNOME

"commercial and economic value" are the same thing, and when you give it away for free then what do you mean? Free stuff has no "commercial and economic value" by definition. This point makes no sense. Maybe increasing values like personal privacy, societal, ubiquitously available make more sense here?

> "Create Unified, Integrated Suite of Programs, Services, & Processes"

That's a lot of work given GNOME currently has awaita and old-skool-gtk split.

> Consciously integrate our technologies and services

Wtf does this mean?

> Strengthen critical weaknesses in IT infrastructure and security

Fix weaknessess I guess. Though here I think I see what values they mean (see me earlier comment).

> Reorganize our events into a streamlined, more inclusive annual event

Okay.

Where "diverse people" I felt more cool with. The word "inclusive" always makes me wonder what currently was not inclusive enough about the events.

Comment

I can't excuse you for making this objectively incorrect statement. I use accessibility features every day as I have already pointed out earlier in the thread.

You should have done the research first before saying I have no clue but neverthless if it gives you motivation to learn more about this topic, that's definitely a good thing. I highly recommend people talking about these topics research them more.
        Excuse me, you are being unpolite. Please refrain that attitude and don't take it too personal.

I disagree with many peoply, I opinate but respect their opinions.

I didn't want to write this, but since no one else is mentioning it, I will.

I have ADHD and GAD, and I believe I have undiagnosed sensory hypersensitivity. To manage this, I extensively customize my digital interfaces, often using a black background and other specific themes.

My experience with GNOME has been challenging because it doesn't offer the comprehensive and seamless customization I need. The lack of robust theming options hinders my ability to integrate GNOME smoothly with the rest of my Linux ecosystem.

This isn't just about aesthetics, it's a functional necessity for users with sensory processing sensitivities. The current theming capabilities within GNOME require extensive workarounds rather than providing a straightforward, user-friendly approach.

It's crucial for a desktop environment to offer flexible theming options that cater to the diverse needs of its user base, especially when it comes to accessibility.

GNOME doesn't integrate well within the Linux ecosystem, often forcing others to adopt it's way rather than using agnostic technologies and consensus-based approaches.​

Comment

• Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Excuse me, you are being unpolite. Please refrain that attitude and don't take it too personal.

I disagree with many peoply, I opinate but respect their opinions.

I didn't want to write this, but since no one else is mentioning it, I will.

I have ADHD and GAD, and I believe I have undiagnosed sensory hypersensitivity. To manage this, I extensively customize my digital interfaces, often using a black background and other specific themes.

My experience with GNOME has been challenging because it doesn't offer the comprehensive and seamless customization I need. The lack of robust theming options hinders my ability to integrate GNOME smoothly with the rest of my Linux ecosystem.

This isn't just about aesthetics, it's a functional necessity for users with sensory processing sensitivities. The current theming capabilities within GNOME require extensive workarounds rather than providing a straightforward, user-friendly approach.

It's crucial for a desktop environment to offer flexible theming options that cater to the diverse needs of its user base, especially when it comes to accessibility.

GNOME doesn't integrate well within the Linux ecosystem, often forcing others to adopt it's way rather than using agnostic technologies and consensus-based approaches.​
          don't bother, any one who thinks that shallowly is intentionally blind. they think "this covers my a11y needs so it cover's everyone's" This is a very prevalent attitude within the linux community at a whole let alone a11y. I used to work people extensively with various needs. It's kind of shocking how quick everyone is to dismiss the actualy needs of others.

a good point I bring up is the lack of flexibility with OSKs. a response I actually get is "Just use the one the DE ships" which is actually baffling to me how dense some people can be. It's just the standard head up ass syndrome where people refuse to try and understand other people's needs.

Comment

Excuse me, you are being unpolite. Please refrain that attitude and don't take it too personal..​
            You are impressively shameless. You tell me that I have no clue about accessibility after I have already posted here about my accessibility requirements and then tell me I shouldn't be impolite and not taking it personal? If you have have done your research and can link to that about how theming outside of high contrast is an accessibility requirement, I am willing to read that. I am not reading your wall of text. Use whatever makes you happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

DEI is the American term for the stance you're taking. Diversity, Equity, Inclusion. It's making sure those who aren't well off are taken care of at the detriment and expense of those who have more than others. You should care because Fascists against it are spreading like wildfire in all practically all NATO and Western countries.

Frankly, I'd love to be able to care less about any of it, but over here the situation is bad. Anything that sounds like kindness, caring, and compassion is weaponized against you as you being one of those woke people.​ While to people like us wokeness is just caring about others regardless of circumstances, to them, woke is a code that means taking away white privilege to ensure everyone is treated equally.

DEI is their champion cause of anti-white wokeness. You low key outed a lot of racists in this thread . They're the ones on the tall stack in the Reality box. They'll trickle down a crate any day now .

Based on the sizes of the child and pitcher, I recon there's a GI Joe action figure manning 2nd base in the Justice slide
              Justice is paying for the damn ticket. Rest is fluff.

Comment

You are impressively shameless. You tell me that I have no clue about accessibility after I have already posted here about my accessibility requirements and then tell me I shouldn't be impolite and not taking it personal? If you have have done your research and can link to that about how theming outside of high contrast is an accessibility requirement, I am willing to read that. I am not reading your wall of text. Use whatever makes you happy.
                Accessibility is a very complex and ample topic. You missed to understand how diverse it is. I have disability and require custom theming for that.

Your attitude reveals your ignorance and arrogance

Comment

Accessibility is a very complex and ample topic. You missed to understand how diverse it is. I have disability and require custom theming for that.

Your attitude reveals your ignorance and arrogance
                  I understand it just fine and it's not complex. You provide zero references that shows you have done any research on this topic. Personal anecdotes aren't a substitute nor is insulting others.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You're an idiot if you think the DEI and wokeness is 'caring about people.' Either stupid or woefully naiive and oblivious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      You're an idiot if you think the DEI and wokeness is 'caring about people.' Either stupid or woefully naiive and oblivious.
                      Unless you look down on everyone who is black or gay you aren't caring for them don't you know? Don't you know that Black folk, gay and bisexual folk, and trans folk are all fragile people that need to be represented adequately or they will put a bullet into their brain? Unless you adequately look down on them and pamper them you aren't truly caring for them. DEI / Wokeness is truly the best way to move forwards as a society.

Comment

Working...
                      X