GNOME Publishes Draft Of Five-Year Strategic Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    It also taught people the value of in-person interaction.

Financial assistance for attending such conferences is a large part of the spending associated with these conferences.
    ideed, the ingroup gets stronger through assistance, the outgroup gets marginalized. In contrast to online conference that is free and everyone can attend.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      5 year plan to dump engineering money into professional racism and line the pockets of everyone except engineers... basically exactly what I expected.
      It's going to be a money pit and a mess, for sure. Instead of a focus on efficiency, financial responsibility and making good economic decisions - which is what the goal was originally supposed to be - their focus is on 'Marxist ideals' and other bs - there's very little there about good tech decisions, financial objectives etc.

The Gnome group or whomever funds them is just wasting their money. So, already, it's a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Defenders of that garbage are the joke including you.
        No need to insult people.
        Don't put words into my mouth. I never said I agree with that list. All I said it's from GNOME foundation, not project.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Excuse me, but you have zero clue about how diverse are the accessibility needs. ​
          I can't excuse you for making this objectively incorrect statement. I use accessibility features every day as I have already pointed out earlier in the thread.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I'll research about it. I've seen that stuff in both Linux and Windows computers many years ago too. If nobody does a reply about it, I'll do it.
          You should have done the research first before saying I have no clue but neverthless if it gives you motivation to learn more about this topic, that's definitely a good thing. I highly recommend people talking about these topics research them more.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            if it was between you and one of the other 'marginalized groups' - you'd lose out because it's about them prioritizing ppl
            No idea what you are talking about. I was just explaining the difference between equity and equality and correcting the misconception that it is about outcomes as opposed to opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              covid taught people the basics of working remotely, video conferencing and so on. Now we only need covid2 so people can master it
              I have been working remotely for more than a decade before that. Let's not pretend video conferencing didn't exist before Covid or casually wish for another pandemic when the first one killed millions of people.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Racist? That's not the correct word in this context.

Treading all people equal is not what is good for everyone. In some cases equality and equity yield to the same results, i.e. for elections. Everybodys vote has the same weight. Yet, in many cases equality doesn't equate equity.
                Some people need less support, others more. It is like giving everybody shoes of the same size 42 because that's the average shoe size. It might fit for some people, but not for everyone. There are even people without legs that don't have a need for shoes.
                Why don't people without legs send shoes back so that it can go to someone who needs shoes? People take that **** they keep it for themselves and try to sell it. That's human nature.

Inclusion / DEI voters should seriously be sent to places that I visit every week. You cannot just accept that every person on this planet has the same values as you and that it's their environment that made them that way.

If people weren't smart enough to lie and cheat then this ideology would work. In the real world we find that people are smart enough to lie and cheat and the impact of that is far worse than the inequalities we have today.

It's a dog eat dog world out there and you are trying to make the micro work perfectly in a tiny part of the world while the macro has gone to ****.

Zimbabwe is now trying to pay back white farmers who has lost their homes due to land reform with money that they don't have so they can attract capital from China, Iran, and UAE.

Can you think how much good is going to come from that? ...

Nothing

Meanwhile look at the pain people in Zimbabwe have been facing for multiple decades. You cannot imagine the pain and suffering those people endue. Why are they suffering? Because white people have all the money, white people have land, they don't belong here. Let's attack them (including the farmers) and take their land. Oh now we don't have food. Now our children have to work for nothing in neighboring countries where there's xenophobia. The locals in the neighboring country place a tire over the neck of our children and sets it alight. Can you imagine the pain a parent must go through to hear that something like that happened to their child?

Everybody loses.

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                It would be wonderful if we could all live together in peace and not deceive each other. If I was the tall person I would gladly give my box to a person that is short. Imagine the world being as simple as that. Not reality where some people are trying to look small but actually are tall or take the box so you have a better chance of attacking a person without a box etc.

You know what would even be better than that? What if we actually paid for a ticket to watch the game? We could have gotten seats that were made by people who worked hard to make the stadium as accommodating as possible for a diverse group of people. We wouldn't have needed to carry our own boxes from our homes or take the boxes we found nearby. (It's just a joke)

Sorry about all the ranting... but I don't understand people trying to solve some of the most complicated problems in the world with blanket statements or policies. You need to go on a case by case bases. We (South Africa) has experienced heavy racial policies over the past 74 years. First pro white and now pro black (in the name of DEI), it has hurt every single person in my country. Doesn't matter how you look or what your background is. It has screwed us all. The only people that didn't get effected were the people that left. It's absolutely ironic that the people that were privileged enough to leave are the people that are pro DEI. They are just as scum as the people that were pro apartheid or on the other side of the horse shoe pro land-reform, pro DEI.

Same story. Everybody loses.

It's almost like when you make a mess when you stop operating on western values like democracy and merit. Instead people are jumping to communistic values like DEI and other identity politics. The same thing every time. Everybody loses.

Employ people in Gnome Foundation who has 0 experience with software based on their identity background. The same ******** thing will happen. Everybody loses.

The only people who I value less than The Gnome Foundation are the people funding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Why don't people without legs send shoes back so that it can go to someone who needs shoes? People take that **** they keep it for themselves and try to sell it. That's human nature.

Inclusion / DEI voters should seriously be sent to places that I visit every week. You cannot just accept that every person on this planet has the same values as you and that it's their environment that made them that way.

If people weren't smart enough to lie and cheat then this ideology would work. In the real world we find that people are smart enough to lie and cheat and the impact of that is far worse than the inequalities we have today.

It's a dog eat dog world out there and you are trying to make the micro work perfectly in a tiny part of the world while the macro has gone to ****.

Zimbabwe is now trying to pay back white farmers who has lost their homes due to land reform with money that they don't have so they can attract capital from China, Iran, and UAE.

Can you think how much good is going to come from that? ...

Nothing

Meanwhile look at the pain people in Zimbabwe have been facing for multiple decades. You cannot imagine the pain and suffering those people endue. Why are they suffering? Because white people have all the money, white people have land, they don't belong here. Let's attack them (including the farmers) and take their land. Oh now we don't have food. Now our children have to work for nothing in neighboring countries where there's xenophobia. The locals in the neighboring country place a tire over the neck of our children and sets it alight. Can you imagine the pain a parent must go through to hear that something like that happened to their child?

Everybody loses.

It would be wonderful if we could all live together in peace and not deceive each other. If I was the tall person I would gladly give my box to a person that is short. Imagine the world being as simple as that. Not reality where some people are trying to look small but actually are tall or take the box so you have a better chance of attacking a person without a box etc.

You know what would even be better than that? What if we actually paid for a ticket to watch the game? We could have gotten seats that were made by people who worked hard to make the stadium as accommodating as possible for a diverse group of people. We wouldn't have needed to carry our own boxes from our homes or take the boxes we found nearby. (It's just a joke)

Sorry about all the ranting... but I don't understand people trying to solve some of the most complicated problems in the world with blanket statements or policies. You need to go on a case by case bases. We (South Africa) has experienced heavy racial policies over the past 74 years. First pro white and now pro black (in the name of DEI), it has hurt every single person in my country. Doesn't matter how you look or what your background is. It has screwed us all. The only people that didn't get effected were the people that left. It's absolutely ironic that the people that were privileged enough to leave are the people that are pro DEI. They are just as scum as the people that were pro apartheid or on the other side of the horse shoe pro land-reform, pro DEI.

Same story. Everybody loses.

It's almost like when you make a mess when you stop operating on western values like democracy and merit. Instead people are jumping to communistic values like DEI and other identity politics. The same thing every time. Everybody loses.

Employ people in Gnome Foundation who has 0 experience with software based on their identity background. The same ******** thing will happen. Everybody loses.

The only people who I value less than The Gnome Foundation are the people funding it.
                  🤡

/5char

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

I have been working remotely for more than a decade before that. Let's not pretend video conferencing didn't exist before Covid or casually wish for another pandemic when the first one killed millions of people.
                    of course i said neither of those. I joked about how hard it has been to get the masses to embrace such technology by other means than force majeure. Hence they demand you physically come to conference or work even when there is no need, it can be done better remotely. I don't understand why it has to be like this, why is normal advancement of society not possible?
                    Last edited by varikonniemi; 24 May 2024, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

of course i said neither of those. I joked about how hard it has been to get the masses to embrace such technology by other means than force majeure. Hence they demand you physically come to conference or work even when there is no need, it can be done better remotely. I don't understand why it has to be like this, why is normal advancement of society not possible?
                      Joking about wanting another pandemic is in extremely poor taste and you shouldn't be doing that regardless of the context. It is clear you don't understand why all the major organizations have occasional in person meetings and why all the open source non-profits invest in them but forcing your preferences is not the right answer here and it will never work. There is plenty of good research for you to read up on it if you are genuinely interested or you can believe everyone doing in person conferences in open source which is literally every major project is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X