No announcement yet.

Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund Now Supporting FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ffmpeg is controlled by a bunch of zombies and lunatics who just deliberately use shit bug trackers and ML to block any bug reports and contributions. Sponsoring a trillion dollars to it won't change that, just sponsor the development of its replacement.

Comment

Phoronix forum users try not to insert their political ideology into every discussion challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

The ignorance is not surprising.
        Bruh, I see over 400 arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities in ffmpeg's history, nearly all due to the buffer overrun issues or the other usual C specific memory issues as well as input validation issues, and nearly all of them easily exploitable by malicious input. Their point is perfectly valid.

Comment

Originally posted by justinkb View Post
          Bruh, I see over 400 arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities in ffmpeg's history, nearly all due to the buffer overrun issues or the other usual C specific memory issues as well as input validation issues, and nearly all of them easily exploitable by malicious input. Their point is perfectly valid.
          Until Rust has the universal availability across every OS and every architecture it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            uid313 wants everything (re)written in Rust. It was funny at first, but now it's sad. Use a sandbox or something if you're really that paranoid about malformed media files.
            It's just delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              If you, or one of the people that upvoted your comment, would be so kind as to explain to me what exactly you think "playing untrusted media from unknown sources" will do to your computer and how Rust would eliminate that potentiality, that would be great,
              There's a long history of memory safety bugs in things like the Android Media Framework allowing maliciously crafted media files to achieve remote code execution.

That's one reason that Mozilla rewrote things like their MP4 demuxer in Rust and reworked things so they can run codecs that are still written in C or C++ sandboxed off from the rest of the browser.

Likewise, Google has been quite happy with the correlation they've seen between more C or C++ in Android replaced with Rust and fewer memory safety vulnerabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I am afraid, Germany is no better and on a downhill path, too. At least in my legal work, I got to see plenty of shortcomings recently of a corrupt system full of despotism.
                The now start to fight the fascists. So we don't need to end in despotism.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  How about parking tickets? It just goes on and on.‚Äč
                  Parking tickets are far too cheap. Parking in general is far too cheap. The city is giving land away for privileged group.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Too bad that a lot of our wealth comes from the car industry and related sectors.
                    Sorry, cars have so many disadvantages that I would not associate them with wealth. I know people are really addicted to them, so we cannot change it, but thier drawbacks persists.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Why bad? Few inventions in human history have done as much for economic development, personal emancipation and quality of life improvement as the automobile. That some have an ideological obsession with trying to deny it doesn't change this fact. It's not lost on me that there is a massive overlap between those groups and those who admire authoritarian regimes as long as they are collectivist, like Cuba, Venezuela, and wish to turn the free West into another totalitarian regime where freedom of the individual to live their own life as they wish is repressed.
                      personal emancipation? You have to buy a really expensive thing from a bug company. For that, you have to work much harder.

quality of life? Most people I know who use cars extensively developed health issues. And car-friendly cities are not very pleasant to live in.

Comment

Working...
                      X