Germany's Sovereign Tech Fund Now Supporting FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    That's great and FFmpeg totally deserves it for being so necessary to so many people!

But I can't help to not notice how this fund is intentionally avoiding to give anything the KDE organization, which besides, Plasma, has so many projects and it's also trying to make them as power efficient as possible, which for sure requires a lot of resources.
    Building Energy-Efficient Free Software

I thought that Germany cared about the environment...
    They have to apply for founding. Did KDE apply?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

My country is full of corrupt politicians and a dishonest culture which is further worsened by increasing crime rates...

Furthermore, bikeways? Outside residential areas, they're nonexistent. Literally. Have to ride in the pavement, or even road
      I am afraid, Germany is no better and on a downhill path, too. At least in my legal work, I got to see plenty of shortcomings recently of a corrupt system full of despotism.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

It might be a somewhat controversial opinion, but at least I use ffmpeg on a daily basis wheras we (as German tax payers) don't get to see anything in return for funding bikeways in Peru.
        It is not controversial at all. It is common sense. Spending someone's money on others is either theft if involuntary, or charity if voluntary. When any Government decides to spent taxpayer money on others, it is usually theft, they pay for projects in other countries but the catch is that their own companies get to work on those projects, and those who get the jobs give a percentage of those funds to the politicians who allocated them in the first place, usually in some offshore paradise so it can be untraceable... It is not like German politicians really care about bikers in Peru.....

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I am afraid, Germany is no better and on a downhill path, too. At least in my legal work, I got to see plenty of shortcomings recently of a corrupt system full of despotism.
          What countries are not these days in the same downhill path too? I yet try to find one, lots of fake propaganda and fascism elsewhere.

Comment

This might have something to do with why Germany has switched to Linux more than once. They can't control themselves. They have someone in there who is acting like they're a kid in a candy store and this goodie is good and that goodie is good. Next thing you know they'll be hiring a Vulkan developer for WINE contributions related to Proton.

When the German department of this and that is processing some regulation and determining compliance, is FFMPEG the tool to use for that process? I severely doubt that.

When the German department of this and the other thing is prosecuting a criminal pursuant to the law, is FFMPEG the tool for this process?

How about parking tickets? It just goes on and on.​

The reality is this is fairly disrespectful of the German taxpayer even though I know I personally gain benefits from it. I can put my personal greed aside for a moment. Linux desktops GNOME/KDE, etc....... Open office/Libreoffice, stuff that can be used by bureaucrats and has a direct application for lowering costs of the bureaucracy or within the bureaucracy, that's what they ought to be focused on. Stuff that's used directly, stuff that's used all the time.

Or else Germany is just going to switch to Windows again because Windows is cheaper. Until they switch to Linux again. Until they switch to Windows again. It's actually really annoying to watch the ball get kicked back and forth.
            Last edited by ezst036; 16 May 2024, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              When the German department of this and that is processing some regulation and determining compliance, is FFMPEG the tool to use for that process? I severely doubt that.

When the German department of this and the other thing is prosecuting a criminal pursuant to the law, is FFMPEG the tool for this process?

The reality is this is fairly disrespectful of the German taxpayer. Linux desktops GNOME/KDE, etc....... Open office/Libreoffice, stuff that can be used by bureaucrats and has a direct application for lowering costs of the bureaucracy or within the bureaucracy, that's what they ought to be focused on. Stuff that's used directly, stuff that's used all the time.
              While I don't mind some level of indirectness, I agree that there needs to be some benefit for the tax payers or the government. It is buying some good will from Linux users all over the world (Entwicklungshilfe is a neat German word to describe what is going on here literally in this context).

Comment

This might have something to do with why Germany has switched to Linux more than once. They can't control themselves. They have someone in there who is acting like they're a kid in a candy store and this goodie is good and that goodie is good. Next thing you know they'll be hiring a Vulkan developer for WINE contributions related to Proton.

The reality is this is fairly disrespectful of the German taxpayer even though I know I personally gain benefits from it. I can put my personal greed aside for a moment. Linux desktops GNOME/KDE, etc....... Open office/Libreoffice, stuff that can be used by bureaucrats and has a direct application for lowering costs of the bureaucracy or within the bureaucracy, that's what they ought to be focused on. Stuff that's used directly, stuff that's used all the time.

Or else Germany is just going to switch to Windows again because Windows is cheaper. Until they switch to Linux again. Until they switch to Windows again. It's actually really annoying to watch the ball get kicked back and forth.
                I really can't understand these reasonings, I can understand those who dispute the fact that there are other priorities, but according to your reasoning, I who don't have a car should get pissed off when my State decides to spend money to asphalt the roads as far as I'm concerned is it not necessary? Is absurd ! This has always been politics, that is, choosing which projects to finance... the important thing is that it is done with a certain vision of the country.​

Comment

Open office/Libreoffice, stuff that can be used by bureaucrats and has a direct application for lowering costs of the bureaucracy or within the bureaucracy, that's what they ought to be focused on. Stuff that's used directly, stuff that's used all the time....

You are plainly wrong in your assumption that the fund is for "bureaucrats" :

https://www.sovereigntechfund.de/ :
                  Digital sovereignty is the self-determined use of digital technologies and systems by individuals, industry, and governments.
                  Its purpose is to support an "open digital infrastructure", and in the year 2024, video and audio are definitely part of such an infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    What countries are not these days in the same downhill path too? I yet try to find one, lots of fake propaganda and fascism elsewhere.
                    Some countries are getting better : russia, india, china, brasil, iran, indonesia, south africa, venezuela, australia, ...
                    Wait and see, but they are trying to break free from the usa and the dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I think FFmpeg needs to be written in a memory-safe language such as Rust. I think it is too dangerous to let these media codecs be written in C since they're used to play untrusted media from unknown sources and they might even autoplay when you visit a website.
                      So far, I think the closest we've got is Symphonia.

Comment

Working...
                      X