Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gernlinden, Gaming, OpenCL, & OpenGL 3.2

Phoronix: Gernlinden, Gaming, OpenCL, & OpenGL 3.2

This week at Phoronix began by learning that Compiz is now running on ATI R600/700 GPUs when using the latest open-source Mesa / DRM stack. Owners of ATI Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series graphics cards are now just a step away from finding "out of the box" open-source 3D acceleration support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To keep in touch with reality, ATI open-source drivers currently can't run HoN.

Comment

I know you're trying to be like the other elitist self-absorbed gaming sites trying to look cool, but typically a lot of gamers and Linux users alike just roll their eyes at that sort of thing and say to themselves "yeah, whatever". But hey, if you feel that's the direction you want to take Phoronix...just be aware that at a certain spam level your users give up coming to your site due to the lack of substance that they care about.

Also called "marketing bloat", it can often cause things to mutate until they're completely unlike the original creation. If you have something which becomes popular for a reason, be careful about changing it as you may change what made it popular to begin with.

Look at what happened to G4, what used to be a TV channel for gamers, for an example. ^^

Just a friendly suggestion.

Comment

Yeah I find this sorts of news kinda irritating as well... I understand though that they are of use to people with limited times on their hands which just want a quick overview of things.
        Maybe it'd be best if you made these things a really regular thing (maybe every two weeks or so) and then would state so clearly in the news-title (something like "Bi-weekly overview: Gernlinden, Gaming, OpenCL, & OpenGL 3.2"). This way you'd find them quick if you just want a short overview and can avoid them if you're reading phoronix on a regular basis and thus already now about everything in the article.

Comment

Sommerloch!?

Comment

I have one question. On one of my pcs I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT (RV350). I'de like to know if in october when I install Ubuntu 9.10, will it have an oss driver able to make it run 3d stuff like google earth?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              I have one question. On one of my pcs I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT (RV350). I'de like to know if in october when I install Ubuntu 9.10, will it have an oss driver able to make it run 3d stuff like google earth?
              R3xx cards have had OSS 3D for years now (although it's only up to OpenGL 1.3 IIRC). The only question should be if Google Earth requires OpenGL 2.0+ or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
                R3xx cards have had OSS 3D for years now (although it's only up to OpenGL 1.3 IIRC). The only question should be if Google Earth requires OpenGL 2.0+ or not.
                Google Earth 5.x doesn't work with ati oss drivers under Ubuntu Gutsy 7.04 with an ATI 9600XT. Let's say Google Earth requires opengl 2.x, will it work with Ubuntu 9.10?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  Google Earth 5.x doesn't work with ati oss drivers under Ubuntu Gutsy 7.04 with an ATI 9600XT. Let's say Google Earth requires opengl 2.x, will it work with Ubuntu 9.10?
                  This seems to indicate that it can work, unless they were using an older version. http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/en/node/600 Isn't it supposed to fallback to software rendering if you don't have a good enough video card anyway? If you just ran into a bug of some kind, then I would definitely try again.

If it does require OGL 2.x, though, then that won't be available for some time. AFAIK, there are no plans for the legacy drivers to support it, so you'd need to wait for the Gallium3D drivers to be included in Ubuntu - I'm guessing that's probably still 12 months away.

Comment

Ok, then once again thanks AMD for making the legacy driver not working with newer distro. As always AMD has to do something wrong and bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X