Mozilla Has A New CEO To Focus On The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
    Ehhh... Firefox as commercial product doesn't make sense. At all. It means that Mozilla as commercial company doesn't make sense too. In reality Mozilla is Google subsidiary that desperately trying to find other streams of cash.

Firefox should be developed by some non commercial organisation that is subsidised by companies and governments that do not want to be 100% dependent on Google. Especially European Union should be very interested.‚Äč
    Firefox is developed by a non commercial organization, owned by Mozilla Corporation (the one talked about here)

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post

Firefox is developed by a non commercial organization, owned by Mozilla Corporation (the one talked about here)
      IDK if you know what "owned" means, but it means that the Mozilla Corporation are in control of the Mozilla Foundation (the non-profit). The non-profit has essentially no control over their own actions, they're just there to take in tax-free donations.

Comment

I used Firefox exclusively up until about 3 years ago. But because of incompatibility with many websites, less focus on privacy, and the destruction of their mobile browser with the "Daylight" release, I had to start using Chromium with add and pop-up blockers on Linux, and Brave for everything else. However as of about two months ago Brave finally began compiling and working on Arch, so now I use Brave on everything.

I would love to go back to Firefox though, even if it remains a bit little slower than Chrome based browsers, but they need to fix their compatibility problems and laser focus on security. And my goodness, they need to go back to the fully functional mobile browser they had before the "Daylight" release. I mean seriously, it was awesome. It worked just like their desktop browser and even supported the same extensions. But now Firefox mobile is just the same stripped down browser like everyone else has. Even Brave mobile is awful, but at least it's more secure than others.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          And my goodness, they need to go back to the fully functional mobile browser they had before the "Daylight" release. I mean seriously, it was awesome. It worked just like their desktop browser and even supported the same extensions. But now Firefox mobile is just the same stripped down browser like everyone else has. Even Brave mobile is awful, but at least it's more secure than others.
          I'm pretty sure they've largely resolved that. At least on the Beta in the Play Store.

Comment

Nice, more wokeness and left wing politics while ignoring the software proper. This will go well.... I noticed firefox behaving erratically for months on my machine, often hanging/stalling and causing performance problems, i switched to Chromium on Archlinux, all issues, GONE! You go girl, make Firefox more lgbqt+ friendly and woke, this will fix it!

Comment

Speaking of more performance for firefox. I would like to see webrender moving from slow opengl to vulkan. The move to vulkan has been proposed so many times. But nothing happened. Vulkan drivers are everywhere and with lavapipe there is even a vulkan driver for cpus. It is about time to do it. You still could run webrender in software mode in emergency cases. I really would like to see firefox setting big trends instead of staying behind any longer. Below a certain market share a browser becomes insignificant to website admins.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I'm pretty sure they've largely resolved that. At least on the Beta in the Play Store.
                I just installed the mobile Firefox Beta from the Play Store and it's even worse than before. It has even less customization than previous versions after Daylight, and, my goodness, you can't even set a custom home page anymore. And the home page they force on you is simply a plethora of advertisements. So no more duckduckgo.com home. I mean really, it's just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

And the home page they force on you
                  I turn that all off. If you don't want to bother configuring it, that's fine, use something else.

Comment

You know, I keep wanting to use Firefox because I honestly believe it's still got the core of a better browser under it. WebExtensions are better than Google's Extensions API, and it still renders some things far better (like downscaled images). It's also more customizable. But the actions of the last several years by their developers and their executive team has pushed me to the edge, and this just broke me.

I'm switching to Vivaldi until somebody (preferably somebody or a company with a large public following) hard-forks Firefox and actually improves it without trying to chase upstream like every other Firefox "fork" that exists.
                    Last edited by Daktyl198; 08 February 2024, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I turn that all off. If you don't want to bother configuring it, that's fine, use something else.
                      Turning it all off still forces you to go to the Firefox home page, and there must be some kind of tracking reason for it or they wouldn't do it. As I said, it's just bizarre. I always set my home page to duckduckgo.com so I'm not tracked every time I open my browser. But with the Firefox Beta that's impossible now. Whoever is in charge of making these kinds of anti-consumer feature decisions needs to be fired, because they are the kind of people that are dragging Firefox down.

Comment

Working...
                      X