sudo systemctl disable updates.*
    sudo systemctl disable edge.*
    sudo systemctl disable xbox.*
    sudo systemctl disable ntfs
    sudo systemctl disable exfat
    sudo systemctl disable payware.*
    sudo groupadd wheel localuser
    sudo zypper install zfs btrfs bash emacs kvm gcc g++ llvm postgres nfs lxqt
    damn, doesn't work. And here I thought sudo was the key to getting a computer that works ONLY the way I want it to,
    not the way someone else wants it to. Abort, retry, you failed.
    most stuff you did want to perform you can do with W10Privacy:

Auf die Idee zur Entwicklung dieses kleinen Programmes kam ich durch die standardmäßig doch äußerst bedenklich gesetzten Datenschutz- sowie Privatsphäreneinstellungen in Windows 10 - vorsichtig formuliert! Microsoft überlässt es dabei großzügiger Weise jedem, den Großteil der Einstellungen anzupassen, verbirgt diese aber in unzähligen Menüs, die die wenigsten "Standardanwender" absuchen möchten. Das Programm soll daher eine Hilfe sein, die verfügbaren Einstellungen relativ übersichtlich darzustellen und die gewünschten Optionen bei Bedarf zu setzen. Der primäre Focus steht dabei auf Einstellungen für Windows 10/11 sowie dessen Apps (z. B. dem neuen Browser "Edge"), es werden aber für Windows 8.1 verfügbare Features integriert. W10Privacy ist sicherlich kein programmier-technisches Meisterwerk, erfüllt aber den von mir angedachten Zweck. Die Software befindet sich in permanenter Weiterentwicklung: Verbesserungsvorschläge und Wünsche werden gerne entgegengenommen und fließen auch ggf. in das Programm ein!
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
      sudo systemctl disable microsoft.*
      sudo systemctl disable cortana.*
      sudo systemctl disable telemetry.*
      sudo systemctl disable spyware.*
      sudo systemctl disable oobe.*
      sudo systemctl disable cloud.*
      sudo systemctl disable ads.*
      sudo systemctl disable analytics.*
      sudo systemctl disable updates.*
      sudo systemctl disable edge.*
      sudo systemctl disable xbox.*
      sudo systemctl disable ntfs
      sudo systemctl disable exfat
      sudo systemctl disable payware.*
      sudo groupadd wheel localuser
      sudo zypper install zfs btrfs bash emacs kvm gcc g++ llvm postgres nfs lxqt

damn, doesn't work. And here I thought sudo was the key to getting a computer that works ONLY the way I want it to,
      not the way someone else wants it to. Abort, retry, you failed.
      sudo systemctl disable extfs
      sudo systemctl disable btrfs
      sudo systemctl disable xfs
      sudo systemctl disable linux
      sudo systemctl disable stupidposixstandard
      sudo systemctl disable brokenfhsstandard
      sudo apt purge libc6* libstdc++* binutils *gnu*
      sudo apt install microsoftvisualstudio ntkernel win32api winget cmd

damn, doesn't work. And i thought Linux was all about getting a computer to work the way I want it to, not the way Stallman, Linus or POSIX wants it to.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 08 February 2024, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by highball View Post

That's a lot of money. But imagine if you didn't have to pay developers to maintain or improve the kernel and all you had to worry about was the userland. Also think about the support costs of the Kernel, those inbox drivers don't port themselves. Plus, in the last twenty years, Windows has lost market share YoY and it's not stopping. In the markets that don't pay for Windows, Windows is still killing it, but the markets that do contribute to that 23+ billion in revenue, Windows is nearing 60% in some markets. That's a huge chunk.
        If that even happens one day (which would be difficult), MS would just fork their Linux like Google did with Android. It resembles Linux, but there is nothing like it in distros. Linux is a failure on mobile and consumer desktops. But anyway, it would make more sense to the entire desktop market die first than Windows.

Comment

How is that different from the `runas` command that existed on Windows for ages?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            How is that different from the `runas` command that existed on Windows for ages?
            None.

As of this point runas remains more versatile and useful than sudo on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by RonDamon View Post
              If that even happens one day (which would be difficult), MS would just fork their Linux like Google did with Android. It resembles Linux, but there is nothing like it in distros. Linux is a failure on mobile and consumer desktops. But anyway, it would make more sense to the entire desktop market die first than Windows.
              If MSFT forked the kernel such that it didn't resemble the Linux kernel any longer that would defeat the purpose of saving money on engineering costs and efforts. The last time I worked on the Windows Kernel, MSFT was moving form minkernel to onekernel so they could unify Xbox, Windows, and Phone. The idea being it would save on engineering costs and efforts. They'd be trading one problem for another, with the addition of of porting their userland to a different bastardized (no-longer)Linux kernel. I suppose you are right though, MSFT senior leadership consistently fail upward, so this would probably be on a scale that would get someone a comfy new Chief position. "Congratulations on spear heading our efforts to save on engineering costs and efforts. You have quadrupled costs and quintupled the efforts required for each release of WindowsLinux. Here is your golden parachute."

Also, I'm not sure why the entire desktop market would have to die. I'm sure Apple will be happy to take up the slack and sell overpriced high-end systems to the poor and middle class of the world. If not, some shiny new, rough on the edges alternative, with a community full of fat neck beards that presumably know everything and will argue on the internet until they are blue in the face could probably get people to their chrome browser.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                I have been saying it for many years now, Microsoft's long term plan is to turn Windows into a Linux distribution, a Linux core with their Windows APIs and userland on top. It is a slow transition but it will definitely happen. This is just another small step towards their goal.
                Actually their long term plan is to implement Linux like functionality into Windows so people have less of a reason to use Linux.

Which is exactly what they are doing now

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

None.

As of this point runas remains more versatile and useful than sudo on Windows.
                  sudo does cover some use cases which are not covered by runas. Whether they are good use cases is of course debatable, but they are found in practice.

One common example is the YOLO way of installing software on a Linux system:
                  Code:
                  $ curl https://… | sudo bash
                  With runas this is not easy to reproduce exactly. Something like
                  Code:
                  PS C:\> irm https://… | runas iex
                  doesn't work (at least it didn't when I last tried) and alternative ways of expressing this on PowerShell have either slightly different semantics
                  Code:
                  PS C:\> runas iex ( irm https://… )
                  or you have to download the PowerShell script first to local storage and then execute it with Invoke-command or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    sudo does cover some use cases which are not covered by runas. Whether they are good use cases is of course debatable, but they are found in practice.

One common example is the YOLO way of installing software on a Linux system:
                    Code:
                    $ curl https://… | sudo bash
                    With runas this is not easy to reproduce exactly. Something like
                    Code:
                    PS C:\> irm https://… | runas iex
                    doesn't work (at least it didn't when I last tried) and alternative ways of expressing this on PowerShell have either slightly different semantics
                    Code:
                    PS C:\> runas iex ( irm https://… )
                    or you have to download the PowerShell script first to local storage and then execute it with Invoke-command or similar.
                    what insecure distro you use that allows sudo bash?

Comment

They should just opensource Windows at this point. They would have thousands of passionate devs fixing the broken stuff that is left for dead for many years, at almost no cost.

Comment

Working...
                      X