Microsoft Confirms Bringing Sudo For Windows, Is Open-Source Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    ...Why? Windows already has an extremely weak permission system on top of defaulting everyone to admin accounts.
    Not since UAC dropped - it's more like most home users are in the `wheel` group by default, just like most Linux desktop installs.

Anyway, glad to see this, I won't need to install gsudo on the Windows machines in the house anymore.

Comment

Worst thing ever.

runas is superior because it forces the current user to use the other user's credentials, as well as force everything to be performed within the context and environment of the user that is to be runas.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        "Windows is no longer profitable so Microsoft turning it into Linux to lessen the burden" theory is confirmed
        Is it? In their 2022 revenue report, Windows made 23+ billion dollars. Yes, it's far less than Azure and Office, but still, its better than their entire gaming division.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          I have been saying it for many years now, Microsoft's long term plan is to turn Windows into a Linux distribution, a Linux core with their Windows APIs and userland on top. It is a slow transition but it will definitely happen. This is just another small step towards their goal.
          You been saying it for years because it isn’t going to happen.

There’s no benefit and nothing but pain. Linux excels at many things, but desktop and mobile isn’t any of them, or close.

Comment

Originally posted by RonDamon View Post
            Is it? In their 2022 revenue report, Windows made 23+ billion dollars. Yes, it's far less than Azure and Office, but still, its better than their entire gaming division.
            People in this forum love to spin wild tales about how Microsoft is going to abandon NT for Linux, despite making little sense. Microsoft is just adding linux stuff to wibdows to entice power users and devs to stay on windows

Comment

Journal, April 24th 2034 - First day back at the computer in 6 months after the safari dream holiday, I have forgotten the name of my favourite Linux site it's been that long, I'll have to pop "Linux" into 'duckduckgo'.

Journal, April 25th 2034 - Seems the safari isn't over, day 2 of searching and i'm starting to get recognizable results on search page 1,236, 'Kubuntu', 'Arch Linux'.

Journal, April 26th 2034 - Thought I was done for but we managed to find in a clearing today, on page 3,789, 'Phoronix'. it's no.1 article 'should Linus re-release his kernel, Torvalx?'

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                You been saying it for years because it isn’t going to happen.

There’s no benefit and nothing but pain. Linux excels at many things, but desktop and mobile isn’t any of them, or close.
                And for the record, Android is not Linux. Neither is Chrome OS.

The only thing they have in common with desktop and server Linux is the kernel, and even that is patched and modified well outside of a standard Linux kernel.

The userland API/ABI are completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post
                  People in this forum love to spin wild tales about how Microsoft is going to abandon NT for Linux, despite making little sense. Microsoft is just adding linux stuff to wibdows to entice power users and devs to stay on windows
                  If we go with numbers, Linux distros would've abandoned the consumer desktop market and focused on enterprise...

Comment

sudo systemctl disable microsoft.*
                    sudo systemctl disable cortana.*
                    sudo systemctl disable telemetry.*
                    sudo systemctl disable spyware.*
                    sudo systemctl disable oobe.*
                    sudo systemctl disable cloud.*
                    sudo systemctl disable ads.*
                    sudo systemctl disable analytics.*
                    sudo systemctl disable updates.*
                    sudo systemctl disable edge.*
                    sudo systemctl disable xbox.*
                    sudo systemctl disable ntfs
                    sudo systemctl disable exfat
                    sudo systemctl disable payware.*
                    sudo groupadd wheel localuser
                    sudo zypper install zfs btrfs bash emacs kvm gcc g++ llvm postgres nfs lxqt

damn, doesn't work. And here I thought sudo was the key to getting a computer that works ONLY the way I want it to,
                    not the way someone else wants it to. Abort, retry, you failed.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post
                      I am sort of thinking the game platform wars extend into a four way war of Microsoft (Xbox, Windows) vs. Sony (PlayStation) vs. Nintendo vs. Valve (Linux) into the 2030s.

Comment

Working...
                      X