Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudflare Launches New Open-Source Software Sponsorship Program

Phoronix: Cloudflare Launches New Open-Source Software Sponsorship Program

Cloudflare is making it easier for non-profit open-source projects to tap into the premium services offered by the company for speeding up their web infrastructure and protecting against attacks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it rather funny that their link to the application form results in a 404.

Comment

I don't know much about Cloudflare, and they are probably a big benefit to large websites surviving DDoS attacks, but as an end user my experience is that they corrupt a lot of the web. If I try to use security and privacy shields against malware, tracking, untrusted javascript and fingerprinting, Cloudflare will often block my access to sites because my shields make my browser look "suspicious". From my perspective, it seems that Cloudflare tries to make the internet less safe and far less private for users like myself. I typically avoid sites that use Cloudflare as a gatekeeper, just like I avoid sites that use Captcha's as much as possible.

Comment

I really welcome this. I will write a application for CachyOS and also ask if we can get a r2 storage.
        This would be a benefit to all users, since we currently "only" have 7 mirrors.

skeevy420
        Link is up now.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          but as an end user my experience is that they corrupt a lot of the web.
          Indeed. It is basically turning a distributed architecture into a centralized one and all the dangers that poses.

But hopefully *when* it tries to grab too much control, it should be easy enough for webmasters to discard it.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            I don't know much about Cloudflare, and they are probably a big benefit to large websites surviving DDoS attacks, but as an end user my experience is that they corrupt a lot of the web. If I try to use security and privacy shields against malware, tracking, untrusted javascript and fingerprinting, Cloudflare will often block my access to sites because my shields make my browser look "suspicious". From my perspective, it seems that Cloudflare tries to make the internet less safe and far less private for users like myself. I typically avoid sites that use Cloudflare as a gatekeeper, just like I avoid sites that use Captcha's as much as possible.
            I see this on rare occasion (just has me click through a captcha), AFAIU you will only see this if the website has turned on additional DDoS attack hardening. Plenty of sites use Cloudflare without enabling the additional hardening.

Comment

I’d be wary of this as much as I would Microsoft GitHub sponsoring projects and a massive, publicly-traded, US​-based corporation. Trying to garner goodwill may just be a goal for ‘goodwill’ while trying to centralize the internet further on their servers.

Comment

Working...
              X