Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloomberg Launches Open-Source Funding Initiative

Phoronix: Bloomberg Launches Open-Source Funding Initiative

The Bloomberg financial, software, and media company has announced their FOSS Fund as a small step for helping open-source projects they rely on and of interest to their employees...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is really nice to see. Apparently, no strings attached?

Comment

Lol, up to 3*10000 per quarter = up to 120000 per year. A negligible amount for a company that has more than 10 billion yearly revenue.

Comment

Better something then nothing right? We can all complain but that doesn't really do justice. It's a nice gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
          Better something then nothing right? We can all complain but that doesn't really do justice. It's a nice gesture.
          If I fund an open source project with 1 euro per year, will anyone be grateful for that or say that it is a nice gesture? I don't think so, and definitely it will not make any news. However if you compare 1 euro/my annual income to the sum that bloomberg spent/bloomberg's revenue, the former is multiple times higher.

PS. No an individual funding 1 euro to open source should be a news headline. However,if bloomberg spends at most 120000 on open source funding, they should still not make news headlines.
          Last edited by marios; 31 March 2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

If I fund an open source project with 1 euro, will anyone be grateful for that or say that it is a nice gesture? I don't think so, and definitely it will not make any news. However if you compare 1 euro/my annual income to the sum that bloomberg spent/bloomberg's revenue, the former is multiple times higher.
            Nobody likes a Karen

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post

Nobody likes a Karen
              Also every self respectable person hates bloomberg. Your argument?

Comment

Never argue with a Karen

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                  Never argue with a Karen
                  That is exactly what a Karen would say.

No-one bats an eye at IBM funding open source, so I can't really complain about Bloomberg. But they are a slimy company. But if they see FOSS as a way to shape their company and put their money on the table good for them. More companies should follow suit.

Comment

Just make companies like Bloomberg pay their fair share of taxes from their earning from society and it could benefit society by also funding FOSS projects

Comment

Working...
                    X