ASUS starts to suck severly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Let's not forget that Asus does not need Linux. Linux needs Asus. Like every good company, they place their own well being above the few geeks using Linux. Linux has to give companies an incentive to support it, NOT the other way around. Asus is doing just fine. Linux isn't.
    Asus has a long history of licking Microsofts and Intel's boots. Remember when they did not advertise their athlon boards to suck up to Intel?

Combine that with the fact that Asus quality went down a lot in the last couple of years (and asus mobos killed more than one pci device with their overclocked-by-default policy they once had). Why buy asus? There are better mobos out there.

Comment

I'm annoyed that the only passively cooled dual-DVI GeForce 9x00 series card that I could actually find to buy anywhere was an Asus one.

Comment

As long as ASUS ensures that the EEE PC is 100% Compatible with Linux I am not complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          (and asus mobos killed more than one pci device with their overclocked-by-default policy they once had). Why buy asus? There are better mobos out there.
          Seeing that even on their hi-end series of motherboards the PCI bus is locked at default I have to call BS on that. You have to force the override. For the record I've owned many of their performance series systems "which overcock by default" which as well isn't true. Those boards are set to auto and the only time it overclocks is a) you specify the percentage of overclock in the bios b) it's left on auto and you install their OC'ing software which of course doesn't work in linux anyways. You will of course see occasionally slight bus speed variations which is because of spread spectrum being enabled by default to help adhere to FCC regulations.
          Last edited by deanjo; 05 June 2009, 02:21 PM. Reason: * changed standards to regulations

Comment

just google. It is not so long that Asus overclocked all busses in their system by a small margin. And back in those days it killed more than one pci card. Google before attacking me. Thank you.

Comment

just google. It is not so long that Asus overclocked all busses in their system by a small margin. And back in those days it killed more than one pci card. Google before attacking me. Thank you.
              Google Spread Spectrum yourself. Talk to any tech. They will confirm that your spreading unsubstantiated FUD. I guarantee you that shitty power supplys are to blame for frying any one piece of hardware. But hey, I've only oned a shitload of Asus systems past and present with every single one with nearly every slot filled and have NEVER fried a pci card.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                As long as ASUS ensures that the EEE PC is 100% Compatible with Linux I am not complaining.
                Has there actually been an eee that could run from day 1 without binary blobs?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Google Spread Spectrum yourself. Talk to any tech. They will confirm that your spreading unsubstantiated FUD. I guarantee you that shitty power supplys are to blame for frying any one piece of hardware. But hey, I've only oned a shitload of Asus systems past and present with every single one with nearly every slot filled and have NEVER fried a pci card.

I am not talking about spread spectrum. I am talking about overclocking system busses. Asus did it for a long time.

And they killed cards doing so.

You don't even know what you (or I) are talking about, since you brought up SS. So please shut up.

I have seen PCI cards malfunction in Asus boards. Cards working fine in boards with clock speeds adhering to the standards.

Comment

I am not talking about spread spectrum. I am talking about overclocking system busses. Asus did it for a long time.

And they killed cards doing so.

You don't even know what you (or I) are talking about, since you brought up SS. So please shut up.

I have seen PCI cards malfunction in Asus boards. Cards working fine in boards with clock speeds adhering to the standards.
                    The "factory overclocking" your seeing is because of spread spectrum, seriously. You even admit you don't know what spread spectrum is so how the hell can you make any comment on it? So here let me enlighten you on the subject.

Find support resources including documentation, examples, and downloads. Learn about available support services, or open a service request with an NI engineer.

I have seen PCI cards malfunction as well, most notably in VIA chipset boards where PCI lock is not available. It has nothing to do with make of board. I would suggest you follow your own advice and "shut up". Until you have a device such as a PCI diagnostic card or a pci monitoring device such as the PC Gieger which is acurate down to the tenth of the MHZ as I have, I would suggest you stick to making comments you actually have a sniff about.

Seriously if you don't even know what spread spectrum is then you shouldn't be commenting on being able to diagnose as to why a card works or not.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 05 June 2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I admitted nothing. Read again. And I really know, what spread spectrum is. The link is very unneeded. You still confuse Spread Spectrum with overclocking....

Just go to sites like tomshardware and read old reviews. You will find enough instances where Asus overclocked the mobo's busses to have the small edge in benchmarks to put them over their competitors, even when the margin was very, very low.

Comment

Working...
                      X