Lenovo Begins Supporting LinuxBoot Firmware With ByteDance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
    I don't know if governments will have the courage to ban facebook, twitter... because their share data with us government?
    Last time I checked, both of those are banned in China, why should we allow a hostile regime access to our markets if they will not allow our products in theirs

Comment

Just an occasional reminder that if you care about Linux support, you shouldn't be buying Lenovo, their BIOS OEM team is the most corrupt incompetent evil s**t hole I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post

Last time I checked, both of those are banned in China, why should we allow a hostile regime access to our markets if they will not allow our products in theirs
        Europeans are not American. We are victims to two hostile nations: China and the US. If we ban Chinese products because of them being integrated into a governmental spying network, then why won't we ban American products that are also integrated into a governmental spying network? Of course 'muricans have no option, you're fucked anyway.

Comment

You couldn't pay me to use Lenovo products after their 2015 scandal remote-installing adware and spyware through the UEFI.

Anyways though, if the Chinese government wants to compete with the US Government over who can give Linux the most money and improvement -- I don't mind being the winner of such a competition.

Obviously China is trying to bootstrap their own domestic chips and using Linux fits their "communism ideology" even though in practice they are nothing like it.

All the RISC-V stuff feels like an attempt to "get good" from FiveStar (Notice the name mirrors the CCP Flag)

Competition is good for innovation -- so I hope Beagle, Texas Instruments and others turn up the heat and we get some cool SBC shit out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by RAINFIRE View Post
            No, thank you, though. imho Communist China's ByteDance and Lenovo must be rejected by the community.
            Same should the US's Microsoft and AMD with their Pluton backdoor / spyware, but yet here we are...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Same should the US's Microsoft and AMD with their Pluton backdoor / spyware, but yet here we are...
              100% Agree with this . I also reject this Microsoft Pluton Backdoor. I will have to look it up, but didn't realize it was AMD specific? Is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post
                why should we allow a hostile regime access to our markets if they will not allow our products in theirs
                "when goods don’t cross borders, soldiers will"
                - probably Frédéric Bastiat

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                You couldn't pay me to use Lenovo products after their 2015 scandal remote-installing adware and spyware through the UEFI.
                Can you please provide a link? My search revealed nothing.

Comment

SemiAccurate is already going as calling it the 'Pluton Malware'. They declare Intel is still safe from it but AMD and Qualcomm have already baked it in. Suffice it to say, I will not be buying any of the Ryzen 6000 processors and try not to get the Qualcomm models. Really don't need any baked in Rootkits from Lenovo, ByteDance, SuperMicro (past), AMD or Qualcomm.

AMD could have had a great CES for CPUs but it was tainted by two self-inflicted wounds.

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2021/12/01/qualcomm-8cx-gen-3-too-dangerous-to-deploy/
                  Intel is announcing a lot of goodies at CES ranging from CPUs to anti-competitive marketing plans.

Comment

I would like to point that I'm definitely going to take a second look at the ByteDance/Lenovo involvement. All of this is such b.s. that we all have to examining source code at the CPU level and CPU diagrams. I'll admit I have a lot yet to learn and may not be correct at all. I've only just recently been able to remove all the SSH Private keys from all my Linux and Windows machines using (import into @keepassxc mgr. which has a CLI version, also). Works with Pageant/Putty/WinSCP. Microsoft's included OpenSSH agent in Win 10, 11, Server and WSL is still broken and Windows Update wont fix it. The latest Powershell Github ssh-agent works though . . . but NOT in WSL still. But at least its working now. No more passwords or private keys, no thanks to Microsoft or TPM.

I am doing everything I can possibly think of to keep my cryptographic keys out of Pluton, TPM, the cloud and anywhere else where someone want to 'help' me and store my keys for me.

Comment

The discussion in the comment area sounds like: Open source products from CCP must be dangerous, even compared with closed source products from other countries? Don't you think this is ridiculous?

Comment

Working...
                      X