Apache Talks Up More Than 333 Million OpenOffice Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post

More anecdotal, but my father (almost retired cobol dev) hates LibreOffice and stays with OpenOffice, which, according to him "keeps my documents working, unlike LO which is messing everything". There may have been regression that I'm not aware of, I don't know, but given a sufficient amount of such discrepancies in your daily work flow, I can understand why LO would be considered "not production ready". (I'm a LO user BTW, and have not experienced major issues with it, but my documents are pretty basic usually).
    Well, I have heard of newer versions of MS Office not opening older files correctly, so is not a isolated LO thing. Also, the reason your father's experience with OO is more consistent, may very well have to do with how stagnant its development is compared with the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post
      More anecdotal, but my father (almost retired cobol dev) hates LibreOffice and stays with OpenOffice, which, according to him "keeps my documents working, unlike LO which is messing everything". There may have been regression that I'm not aware of, I don't know, but given a sufficient amount of such discrepancies in your daily work flow, I can understand why LO would be considered "not production ready". (I'm a LO user BTW, and have not experienced major issues with it, but my documents are pretty basic usually).
      Somewhere around 2011 or 12 is when I made the OOO->LO switch and it messed up the formatting when loading most of my documents. I ended up having to reformat all my templates. Years later I had to open up an old doc and it loaded up just fine. Even my old templates from back then loaded up fine. Whatever was causing old OOO docs to be rendered in LO had been fixed.

While I don't know the exact time frame of that regression, I had the same anecdotal experiences as your father with my documents.

Comment

"Well, presumably the Linux users are better educated and going straight for the modern and more maintained LibreOffice"
        Well said. sudo apt install libreoffice and job done. Why would anyone use OpenOffice?

Comment

Interestingly the numbers they published on the Apache.org blog put it at 297 million downloads by Windows users, 31 million downloads by macOS users, and just 4.7 million downloads by Linux users... Well, presumably the Linux users are better educated and going straight for the modern and more maintained LibreOffice.​
          4.7 million out of 333 million is 1.411 percent, which isn't much different compared to the Linux desktop market share (around 2%). So I don't understand how are Linux users "better educated" when Linux desktop market share itself is vastly lower compared to Windows.
          Btw, 31 million out of 333 million is 9.31 percent. which also isn't much different compared to MacOS market sharet (around 10-12%).
          Last edited by user1; 31 August 2022, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Wow... that's a lot of misinformed people, and it's a shame Apache is totally fine knowing this. ~330 million people is like having the entire population of the US use a different standard than everyone else. Imagine that - like what if everyone there used a different set of measurement units lol, what a crazy world that would be.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 31 August 2022, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
              Well said. sudo apt install libreoffice and job done. Why would anyone use OpenOffice?
              Even more simple, nearly all desktop-oriented distributions come with LO preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Wow... that's a lot of misinformed people, and it's a shame Apache is totally fine knowing this. ~330 million people is like having the entire population of the US use a different standard than everyone else. Imagine that - like what if everyone there used a different set of measurement units lol, what a crazy world that would be.
                The rover will land on Mars is 10....9....oh fuck, that was sooner than expected.

Sir, you have a call from the ESA.

The fuck is a Metric?

Comment

So they're suggesting 333 million people don't know libreoffice exists huh?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    I'm sure many of them know Libreoffice exists, but I guess the reasons for such high number is inertia/lazyness and if OpenOffice for whatever reason really works better for some. I also wonder how popular OpenOffice is in corporate environments. If it really is, then it's the typical case of conservative corporations refusing to adapt to new things.
                    Last edited by user1; 31 August 2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                      To this day I when I think about it I call it OpenOffice in my head even though I'm using LibreOffice. Brand names, what you cut your teeth on, and what's familiar can be hard to drop, change, or even feel a need to seek an alternative.

It makes you wonder how many people discovered it in high school 17 years ago and never felt the need to look for an alternative while continuing to suggest it to all their friends who suggest it to their friends leaving us with a closed loop of OpenOffice users who simply can't be bothered to look for a FOSS alternative. The prevalence of Google Docs shows that they occasionally look for or take suggestions for alternatives, just not in the FOSS realm it seems.

Comment

Working...
                      X