Increased Use Of Windows BitLocker Is Causing Headaches For Linux Dual Booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    People still dual boot? Why exactly? Have they not heard of VMs?

Sounds like an obsessed gamer thing.

Good thing the geniuses at IBM are working on it. Maybe they can ask Microsoft sweetly to allow Lennart to write a dualboot-d module for systemd to handle it.
    it would be great if he could make it a very large dualboot-d because who likes small dualboot-d ?

Comment

As I said - obsessed gamers.
      I don't know or care what you think about PC games, but a short reboot is simple and reliable compared to fiddling around with Wine compatibility settings. Although I had some old games running just well on WIne, that didn't even start on Windows 10.

We've had USB pass-through in VMs for many years now. That's a very rare edge case where you can only access a specialized device directly from bare metal Windows. In which case you should probably just have a dedicated Windows box for it (or find better devices to use).
      I guess so for static and professional usecases, but you can't deny that someone out there might just want to have it that way. And that's fine. There also might still be more than just USB.
      If someday I feel like using my USB rocket launchers again, I'll try USB pass-through 7 years or so ago it didn't work.

Comment

I think that systemd-dualboot will solve the issue eventually... 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
          If someday I feel like using my USB rocket launchers again, I'll try USB pass-through 7 years or so ago it didn't work.
          Maybe that's what's going wrong for the Ukraine army right now - Virtualbox won't pass through the USB rocket launchers to the Windows-only launch program.

Comment

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
            The grub upstream guys fight tooth and nail against that, thats the problem if you read the posts from the fedora and redhat guys it shows they have loads of patches pending for grub that dont get merged on time or just denied because of politics.
            I'm fully aware. My point was to argue whether that's "working as intended" in terms of encryption. Working as intended means 3rd parties can't access your data. If you authorize some other system, by definition it's not a 3rd party and can be a part of "working as intended" perfectly.
            That the FLOSS community rejects it because OMG EEE is a whole different non-technical issue.

Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
            while systemd-boot seems to work but they can´t use that cause then they have to negotiate with microsoft again to keep the keys fedora has now, thats all just a hole mess.
            While unacceptable for normal users (telling them to go through that would be idealistic, to say the least), you could just load your own/trusted keys. And at this point I think "the Linux community" doesn't really care about normal users.

Re: using dual boot, I personally use it simply because Windows comes preinstalled, I don't want to go through yet another install and hunting for my own license and what not, and want to have it around for the occasional boot to Windows (e.g. in the unlikely case I want to play a game, even for the supported ones it's just easier that way), while I'm much more comfortable on Linux. But I know what I'm messing with and will deal with the annoyances that may cause.

Comment

Solution: Wipe Windows and install it in a VM if you need it for some reason. Not surprisingly, Linux has the best virtualizaton stack in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Microsoft's cloud business is thriving (up 28% vs a year earlier). Did you say something about Linux?
                Either you have no idea what the hell you are talking about or trolling (and failing at it). Microsoft's cloud business is Azure, which is Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post

Either you have no idea what the hell you are talking about or trolling (and failing at it). Microsoft's cloud business is Azure, which is Linux.
                  So what? It's a Microsoft business and they get the money. A lot of money. They even have their own Linux distro nowadays. Yes, hell froze over, welcome to a brave new world.
                  edit: The point I'm trying to get across is that they don't care what you run on Azure. They make their money selling instances and what you do with them doesn't affect their bottom line. Microsoft only cares about Linux up to the point it helps integratikg it into Azure (and their whole ecosystem as a whole) better, like Linux HyperV or WSL. But they don't give a shit about Linux or Linux users beyond that or how Linux users perceive them. If Linux died tomorrow they'd be more than happy.
                  Last edited by binarybanana; 27 July 2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post

Just ignore him. He is known Intel/NVIDIA/Microsoft fanboy. His pattern is like:
                    a) say something stupid or misleading;
                    b) wait for constructive crticism;
                    c) declare received criticism as an insult or hate and block user with different opinion;
                    d) repeat;

Oh, also the more "fuck" you write, the better. Some 13 year old mentality. Don't bother with him.

Comment

What's the deal with OEM systems? They have Bitlocker enabled, but it doesn't encrypt the drive until you use a Microsoft Account for a Windows login. Is that a possible way to get around the issue? Mind you, Windows 11 Home "requires" an Internet connection and Microsoft Account (although you can get around it at the MS Account setup screen in OOBE by opening a command prompt by hitting Shift-F10, using netsh to temporarily disabling WiFi or disconnecting your cable, and then just hitting the back arrow once).

Comment

Working...
                      X