Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increased Use Of Windows BitLocker Is Causing Headaches For Linux Dual Booting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
    And i just gave my old PC that i used until april as example, it was allready 2nd hand when i got it and is allmost 10 years old now if you take the fx 8120 release date as example and it was still useable and still is, it´s sitting next to my desk right now just have to remove the dust and clean the cpu cooler and it would run without spending a cent. So no im not full of cash.
    Then why do you assume that everything from those times has 8GB of RAM? That amount of RAM was quite high end at the time. People often buy average computers. And lots of people (the majority around where I live) use those average-when-new computers for a decade or more.

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
      And i just gave my old PC that i used until april as example, it was allready 2nd hand when i got it and is allmost 10 years old now if you take the fx 8120 release date as example and it was still useable and still is, it´s sitting next to my desk right now just have to remove the dust and clean the cpu cooler and it would run without spending a cent. So no im not full of cash.
      Hi five! Still using an Opteron 6328 here as my home server. 128 GB of ECC memory, it can run a bunch of VM's, does not have any of the modern spectre/meltdown vulns, and supports x86-64-v2 so it can run modern EL9 os. No plans to replace this 10 year old server, as it would be big $$$ for any comparable EPYC/Xeon config.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 28 July 2022, 03:52 PM.

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

        Then why do you assume that everything from those times has 8GB of RAM? That amount of RAM was quite high end at the time. People often buy average computers. And lots of people (the majority around where I live) use those average-when-new computers for a decade or more.
        That´s the point they buy overpriced average ready made PC´s, the fx 8120 i got i knew the guy from online gameing and it was build by order, and when he got his next one, he send his old one to me so i knew that it works.

        And yes to be honest for my new one i spend some bucks myself i had a budget and picked parts and had it build by order, it´s better to spend money once for quality, when you buy a OEM one you allways have this pain in the a**, i got burned with a monday PC from A*** once, it was just over warrenty time and was impossible to repair because the used mainboard was simply impossible to get a replacement for, so after 2 years off you go to the trashcan.

        And yes the average customer does not care they want the bang for the buck and then dissapointment.

        Need to know before what you need whats the standard nowdays etc. and sorry if i go to the next media markt(german brand) and see one of those OEM things there and it had 4gig nowdays i would just facepalm, my handy has more ram than that why buy this thing ? But some pepole just buy them that´s how they make money.

        Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Hi five! Still using an Opteron 6328 here as my home server. 128 GB of ECC memory, it can run a bunch of VM's, does not have any of the modern spectre/meltdown vulns, and supports x86-64-v2 so it can run modern EL9 os. No plans to replace this 10 year old server, as it would be big $$$ for any comparable EPYC/Xeon config.
        Cheers

        Comment


        • #74
          The answer is don't try to chain load windows. Just select the OS from the BIOS boot menu.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by erniv2 View Post
            And yes the average customer does not care they want the bang for the buck and then dissapointment.
            Yes but those are mostly running Windows only and never thinkering with it. As a german you probably can't imagine that the world is full of really poor people that only get PCs that we consider to old to use.

            In a VM you also don't have GPU acceleration (unless you have 2 GPUs and use passthrough, which again involves more hassle and money), a simple Win 10 desktop is super taxxing for your emulation layer and not smooth enough for any graphics tasks. Also sound is the same, no serius sound works in a VM unless you pass through a second sound card.
            I'm personaly using a VM with passthrough for gaming but I would never consider that to be a good solution for everyone. Many hours spend till it ran right.

            And another use case: processing photos with RawTherapee. On my Laptop this is hardly achievable native in Linux (T430 from 2012 core i7 and 16 GB RAM), just a few images and the RAM is full, in a VM it would be limited even more.

            Running 2 operating systems and some emulation is always gonne give you worse performance compared to one native OS. If you have more than enough performance for your use case, fine but don't expect everyone else to have that luxury.

            my handy has more ram than that why buy this thing ? But some pepole just buy them that´s how they make money.
            https://www.linguee.de/englisch-deut...ung/handy.html It's mobile or smartphone, no non german knows what you want to say with "Handy".

            Comment


            • #76
              No Windows, no problem

              Comment


              • #77
                maybe the entire disk is encrypted.

                Comment


                • #78
                  That's the easiest way you won't get the recovery screen for Bitlocker anymore.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Currently, unless you use something universal like OpenZFS, the OS that encrypts it is the OS that decrypts and manipulates it. "Sorted out" would be porting BitLocker to Linux and LUKS1&2 to Windows because this is literally disk encryption working as expected.
                    There is an open source implementation of LUKS for Windows out there somewhere, but IIRC it’s no longer maintained, and I’m not sure it still works in recent Windows versions…

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X