Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13 Released For Those Not On The LibreOffice Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
    I've switched a couple of older windows laptops to LO and it was starting noticeably slower. Some people might just prefer it, though It's rather rare scenario now.
    You can choose whether LO should load itself into memory at boot or later. I think MS has removed the option and always loads MSO at boot - making everything else seem slower...

However, I am using LO now on a daily basis (changed from MSO), and can safely say, that both Office suites have their pros and cons - but after taking the time to learn LO, it beats MSO by lengths on price and absence of license hassle. Plus you also get the Draw part as standard.

Edit: And more on-topic, yeah OO should really just give up and hand-over the trademark to LO. They are doing everyone a huge disservice (on purpose?).
    Last edited by Veto; 23 July 2022, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Abiword and Gnumeric are much better for low end systems. Even Impress sucks. Pdfpc, for example, can do a lot more.
      Gnumeric is my primary choice even on most high-end systems :-) Quick startup me like.
      I'm not using Abiword; for me it's not stable and simple text editors with Markdown are all I need.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Read your own statement. Do you even realize you are accusing The Document Foundation for trying to the do similar process that Google and Microsoft do: having funds to further their work?
        No, that is exactly what I am saying. I think The Document Foundation *is* trying to do exactly the same as Google and Microsoft with regards to funding. Doing it in a non-honest way.

There is a reason why I don't use Google's, Microsoft's, TDF's products. Completely orthogonal to the idea behind open-source software.

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Neither Google Docs nor Office 365 would reach their current level without monetization.
        And what level is that? Horrific to use? An abuse of privacy? Making their users skin crawl? You don't want your office software of choice to be near that level of consumer crap.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
          Honestly, this is just embarrassing, and a blemish on the Apache foundation. The project is barely hanging on and might as well be abandoned. Killing it off and having the same contributors help with LibreOffice would be best for everyone.
          The problem is that you can't decide how contributors will spend their time. Some of them don't like copyleft (FreeBSD offers the choice to install AOO and LO), others have other reasons to prefer to contribute to AOO. If you kill it off, its contributors won't simply flock to LO. For those have basic usage and don't like frequent updates on Windows or macOS, AOO is an acceptable choice.

Besides, if you're contributing to AOO, LO can copy your contribution if the team deems it valuable (but not the other way around) since LO can incorporate Apache licensed code.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Are you kidding?

Just let OpenOffice die. You do nothing but hinder potential users of the better option (LibreOffice).
            This is more than just beating a dead horse... it's beating its skeleton!
            Perhaps you could stop defecating on people's work. This is open source software. There is no guarantee of use to you or anyone in free software. If someone wants to work on it, they are very much welcome to. People are free to write and publish any sort of free software they want.

If you want guaranteed usefulness, stay away from free software because you won't find it outside commercial software.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Are you kidding?

Just let OpenOffice die. You do nothing but hinder potential users of the better option (LibreOffice).
              This is more than just beating a dead horse... it's beating its skeleton!
              Sign here the petition:

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

No, that is exactly what I am saying. I think The Document Foundation *is* trying to do exactly the same as Google and Microsoft with regards to funding. Doing it in a non-honest way.

There is a reason why I don't use Google's, Microsoft's, TDF's products. Completely orthogonal to the idea behind open-source software.

And what level is that? Horrific to use? An abuse of privacy? Making their users skin crawl? You don't want your office software of choice to be near that level of consumer crap.
                I agree. Despite Apache Foundation and mostly the rest are the worse evil crap, TDF is quite dishonest and not much better despite the product is a lot better in many aspects.

Comment

Admittedly this is a very limited use-case scenario, but Openoffice does have an option that Libreoffice does not have - specifically, if you're using an OS/2 Warp derivative (I have an old P4 computer with Arca OS), Openoffice has you covered, whereas Libreoffice does not. Granted, 99.99999% of users do not have a need for it, but I'm definitely going to install it on that system and see how well it does compared to what's on there now.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Are you afraid of reality? There's Community Edition and a proprietary release.
                    Does the in the LibreOffice Enterprise family there are features not libre?

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

Perhaps you could stop defecating on people's work. This is open source software. There is no guarantee of use to you or anyone in free software. If someone wants to work on it, they are very much welcome to. People are free to write and publish any sort of free software they want.

If you want guaranteed usefulness, stay away from free software because you won't find it outside commercial software.
                      But Apache are essentially defecating on TDF with this OpenOffice zombie.

Comment

Working...
                      X