Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13 Released For Those Not On The LibreOffice Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13 Released For Those Not On The LibreOffice Train

Phoronix: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13 Released For Those Not On The LibreOffice Train

It's been nearly 12 years since LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice.org following Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems and then the subsequent creation of Apache OpenOffice in 2011. While LibreOffice has become the dominant open-source office suite, Apache OpenOffice continues limping along and today marks its v4.1.13 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's funny to see libreoffice twitter account on every tweet complaining about OpenOffice. Now that I think about it, it's just sad.

Comment

Are you kidding?

Just let OpenOffice die. You do nothing but hinder potential users of the better option (LibreOffice).
      This is more than just beating a dead horse... it's beating its skeleton!
      Last edited by tildearrow; 22 July 2022, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        It's funny to see libreoffice twitter account on every tweet complaining about OpenOffice. Now that I think about it, it's just sad.
        I'm not sure I follow, I looked at their twitter, they don't seem to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I'm not sure I follow, I looked at their twitter, they don't seem to do that.
          Oh, they do
          IMG_20220723_024849.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, they do
            I wish they would do that more often, it's a valuable public service. I feel a bit sorry for anyone who is stuck on OpenOffice just because they don't know any better.

Comment

In my experience, a lot of people are, decide it's rubbish, and give up and go back to Word.

EDIT: I wouldn't call it rubbish, just old and behind on basically everything. I'm not sure why it still exists.
              Last edited by hamishmb; 22 July 2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Are you kidding?

Just let OpenOffice die. You do nothing but hinder potential users of the better option (LibreOffice).
                Well, IMHO it's always good to have options. If someday LibreOffice fucks up big time (I don't see that happening, but you never know), it's nice to have something else. The real enem... well, competitor is MS Office. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Comment

Oh, they do
                  > "It lets you save in docx format"
                  That's weird. OpenOffice does too.

LibreOffice is really pushing its name to reach critical market penetration and can then start pushing its "partner" products like Collabora's commercial fork.

I imagine many people actively chose OpenOffice over LibreOffice because the "Community Edition" moniker scares them off LO. If there was any hope of getting companies to embrace a FOSS office, this is not the way to do it

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Are you kidding?

I've switched a couple of older windows laptops to LO and it was starting noticeably slower. Some people might just prefer it, though It's rather rare scenario now.

Comment

Working...
                    X