SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    If it helps, most BluRay players run on Linux internally. I know my first one did (from the software licenses)... haven't had time to dig in to my new one (last of the Oppo players) but I wouldn't be surprised to find it ran LInux as well.
    well i already have a usb blu ray burner for my pc and i can not watch blu ray on it on linux.

yes yes all the hardware players run linux internaly but you as a customer do not have any benefit from it.

if you ask me dvd is superior to blu ray plain and simple because the copy protection is easy to break and you can make a backup of your orginal copy on your harddrive.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

If a technology keeps you from using it fairly, do not buy that technology. Blu-ray is technically superior to DVD, but all the advantages go out the window when you are not on Windoze. If they will not sell a better version on a technology that works on your system, you can still get it. Others rip such things all the time for torrents. I buy one copy. If it fails to work for me, I download a rip and feel no guilt. Nor should I.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
        If a technology keeps you from using it fairly, do not buy that technology. Blu-ray is technically superior to DVD, but all the advantages go out the window when you are not on Windoze. If they will not sell a better version on a technology that works on your system, you can still get it. Others rip such things all the time for torrents. I buy one copy. If it fails to work for me, I download a rip and feel no guilt. Nor should I.
        right. problem these kind of people think they have monopoly and they think they can force people into their will.

but it is clear that this kind of slavery does not work over long time the market is split one group buy the old technology DVD ... the other group do online streaming.

and if you see the marketshare blu ray is already death ther was a time dvd was going down and blu ray was going up they thought this will go to the point dvd goes extinct but nothing what they wanted happened in 2022 people buy more dvd than blu ray and online streaming is killing the blue ray.

the market is crazy in 2022 people even start to buy VHS players again and people buy more and more analog vinyl records... people even buy cassettes players again...

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I never got rid of my analog & vinyl - too many badly mastered CDs in the early days for me to ever be comfortable with the technology.

Back when copy protection meant someone yelling "NO, get your greasy fingers off that album"
          Test signature

Comment

Region locked blurays can be a pain to mess with but normally most device vendors allow the region code to be changed multiple times to compensate. Some may even have all regions supported at same time? (region free)

I assume that is the protection being talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Are you for real? Adsl have 3ms latency to the provider server and Vdsl have 5ms. I have 200mbps Vdsl2 35b with actual 5ms tested with common online speed tests and that is with the "almost" fast path and byte swap activated for those ultra small packages. On that note i get ~75ms on Csgo both when i had Adsl fast_1 and Vdsl. You understand that if we add like 45ms more we go to the unplayable 120ms. Yes you heard correct those engines don't work at all at 100+ms, it's not a "what is noticeable" thing.
              Again, on a fast profile, throw in interleaving and watch that latency go up. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have FTTN in their area or have super short lengths to the DSLAM. ADSL users especially. Also starlink can far surpass 200Mbps and even 300Mbps of VDSL, you need to start getting into pair bonding to really achieve fast speeds like that in xDSL anyway. It's either that and/or have a super short loop as the theoretical speeds aren't even attainable once you start getting a line even a little bit long, much less on a fastpath profile.

I'm not certain where you're located to get 75ms to csgo or how your ISP routes you but the latency numbers you state are being pulled right out of a hat, you're grossly overstating the latency many starlink users have to csgo -- i mean there's literal benchmarks you can look at to prove it. Many people I know just where I live get ~60ms on starlink itself. Again, Starlink isn't out to replace your internet, heck I've got FTTH here and prefer that any day over something like starlink, but for many users it's a very worthy option.

Comment

Michael, from the article "offloading some systems and IoT devices to it". Just out of curiosity - what kind of IoT devices is generating so much traffic that you need to offload it to a secondary connection?

Comment

Working...
                X