SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sverris View Post
    How many W uses it when idle and how many when busy? And what about temperature range?
    Up to ~100 W when the defroster / heater is running on the dish. Somewhere around 30-40 W when transmitting.

The rectangle Dishy (as shown in this article) is supposed to use a little less than the the round Dishy.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      Very cool, also unexpected, article. Very interesting. Is it possible to pin down the issues for the variation? Solar wind, Weather ... other more earthly influences?
      Humanoids! The kind that watch cat videos on Facebook and Netflix and chill.

Starlink suffers the same issues as cellular internet. You have a limited amount of spectrum split between a bunch of users. The difference is that starlink will saturate quite quick, since each satellite needs to cover an huge area compared with a cellular antena.

I can see the good use cases on super low density rural areas without access to broadband. And maritime and aviation internet access.

On an urban setting it’s just useless if more than a couple percent of the population decides to use it. It’s like using your phone on a festival.

Comment

The only time I'm glad I live in a big city)
        Internet, by the way, costs $7

Comment

People take big dumps on Australian internet connections all the time but it seems the USA has PLENTY of similar situations happening, but even worse is that US tax payers have paid the telecommunications industry so much money over the years with basically little upgrade to infrastructure. Why does privatized critical infrastructure never work out? ...

The issue in Australia is our government decided to stick with COPPER in the ground instead of fibre after being advised it was a TERRIBLE idea by tech experts. The reason they did it mostly was because it was the opposite of what the opposition party was doing.

Hence we are now faced with upgrading the NBN (our in-ground internet infrastructure) YET AGAIN with fibre after already paying like 60billion for fixing up the unfix-able copper in the ground (yes they bought copper and put more into the ground). AND they wonder why citizens are loosing ALL faith in the governments ability to plan/regulate industry.
          Last edited by theriddick; 22 June 2022, 08:42 PM.

Comment

@Michael Could you add a few box plots and line plots instead of the lengthy barplot?

Box plots are good for visualizing minimum, average, maximum and variance. Line plots, on the other hand, can show the variations without having to scroll up and down.

Comment

This is infinitely better than it was in the past. A decade back, you could only get satellite Internet downloads. For uploads like even simple page requests you had to use old analog dial up modems. I have been with the only ISP available where I live for more than two decades now paying almost as much as this for a plainly terrible connection. They were "Charter" when I first setup the account, but are now known as "Spectrum" for whatever reason. I am keeping an eye on this. I would be overjoyed to give Charter/Spectrum the finger and take my limited money to anything else.

Thanks for the article. Have a nice day.
              Last edited by OmniNegro; 23 June 2022, 12:35 AM. Reason: Typos.

Comment

It's better than nothing if you live out in the woods I guess. Even the cheapest fiber here is faster than this and I'm in a rural area. When you add in the cost of the hardware, it's not worth it if you have services in your area.

Comment

We had a medium-size LAN party some weeks ago (yes, a LAN party as in "380+ people gathering with their computers in a big hall and playing games for 3 days straight")

The local DSL provider (Vodafone) was total crap, and with almost 400 concurrent users it went pretty badly: disconnects, latencies up to hundreds of ms, etc.

One of the participants lived ~2km from the venue and has a Starlink subscription. Since it was already expected that there would be Internet issues, he brought his dish with him the day before and it was installed on the roof. Starlink support was very helpful and forthcoming with lifting the geo-blocking for the weekend.

When the DSL trouble started, the whole internet was switched to Starlink, and all 400 connections suddenly went from 500+ms down to ~20ms pings

The data rate was probably lower (we didn't test that extensively since latency is what matters for gaming, and we had a 20TB+ proxy as cache with the most popular Steam games already downloaded so that wasn't an issue) but we were all surprised at the good performance it delivered, even with almost 400+ people using it concurrently

Comment

Starlink user from Australia here. Received the older round Starlink dish and ordered a pipe adapter alongside. Had it then mounted on our roof, on top of an old antenna post. I used an electrician to have the whole cabling professionally run into the house. Unless you’re skilled enough to avoid roof leaks where you route the cable, I’d definitely recommend using a professional installer. There’s some cost associated with this of course.

Setup itself was trivial with the iOS app. Thankfully, I still got the modem with the inbuilt Ethernet port, so I could connect my existing WiFi mesh network. The modem itself would benefit from a different weight distribution. It’s quite easy to topple over.

Network QoS during the first few weeks were quite average with frequent dropouts. This has largely stopped in the last couple of months. Not sure if that’s due to extra satellites that have come online or some software update behind the scenes. I get an average of 100 Mbps. This can vary wildly though. Sometimes, I get almost 300 Mbps. Other times it’s down to 50 Mbps or thereabouts. Latency (as reported by the Starlink app) is 40-60 ms. Still OK for video calls, but will hopefully be improved over time.

Generally quite happy with Starlink despite the cost. The alternative would have been local “broadband” that tops out at sluggish 20 Mbps in my place. I hope to see more satellite Internet providers come online in the coming years. Starlink needs competition to not go crazy with its fees.

Comment

Thank you dark-star for a real-life use example. I am glad to hear they did not do the usual "lanparty is commercial" bullshit excuse other providers stick to.

Comment

Working...
                      X