Broadcom Announces Plan To Acquire VMware For $61 Billion USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luno View Post
    hope they don't stop working on 3d acceleration and vulkan in Mesa due to this, 256 MB limit of VirtualBox for graphics sucks. Linux and MacOS has good qemu support (GUI frontends) but Windows doesn't even have any accelerated graphics VM support except for Vmware (Hyper-V is joke if you want to any graphics development in Linux VM)
    you can compile qemu on windows to have virgl support. hyper-v will have 3d acceleration... eventually

Comment

I have been dealing with virtualization going all the way back to the Connectix Virtual PC days, and even started running serious virtual servers with Microsoft Virtual Server. From my perspective, VMWare has always just been unnecessary. In Windows, Hyper-V handles the job just fine. And in Linux, KVM/QEMU handles the job just fine.

Comment

Woah woah woah 61 billion?

Damn that's a huge number...

Now vmware makes good VMs, but not that good, I mean xen and qemu are definitely better. The only thing vmware really has going for it is support (for the higher end customers) and ease of use compared to other VMs. But even qemu can be simplified almost as much with tools like virt-manager.

61 billion? is this company not overvalued?
        Last edited by rabcor; 26 May 2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Woah woah woah 61 billion?

Damn that's a huge number...

Now vmware makes good VMs, but not that good, I mean xen and qemu are definitely better. The only thing vmware really has going for it is support (for the higher end customers) and ease of use compared to other VMs. But even qemu can be simplified almost as much with tools like virt-manager.

61 billion? is this company not overvalued?
          not at all, at corporate usage vmware is one of the top providers

Comment

hope they don't stop working on 3d acceleration and vulkan in Mesa due to this, 256 MB limit of VirtualBox for graphics sucks. Linux and MacOS has good qemu support (GUI frontends) but Windows doesn't even have any accelerated graphics VM support except for Vmware (Hyper-V is joke if you want to any graphics development in Linux VM)
            That's just 3dFX glide card emulation... its for running windows 98 + old glide games.

What you want is ProxMox VE + virtio-gpu or virtio-gl (VirGL GPU). You can run this with just QEMU also but it works out of the box on ProxMox VE + a supported card on the host (you have to manually install the host graphics driver packages also). But this is a total of maybe 15-20min to install and setup.

Virtual Vulkan support is in progress also https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...vulkan-driver/

To make it work in the VM you just install the virtio packages from an ISO very similar to how VMWare and Virutalbox support this also.
            Last edited by cb88; 27 May 2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              I have been dealing with virtualization going all the way back to the Connectix Virtual PC days, and even started running serious virtual servers with Microsoft Virtual Server. From my perspective, VMWare has always just been unnecessary. In Windows, Hyper-V handles the job just fine. And in Linux, KVM/QEMU handles the job just fine.
              I beg to differ!

Am a happy and overly satisfied ESXi user since 2010. Yeah Opennebula and all other cool open source virtualization tools and stacks exist but hands down, ESXi takes the crown IMHO. A well built appliance (approx. 350 - 450MB install) that just kicks ass.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

That's just 3dFX glide card emulation... its for running windows 98 + old glide games.

What you want is ProxMox VE + virtio-gpu or virtio-gl (VirGL GPU). You can run this with just QEMU also but it works out of the box on ProxMox VE + a supported card on the host (you have to manually install the host graphics driver packages also). But this is a total of maybe 15-20min to install and setup.

Virtual Vulkan support is in progress also https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...vulkan-driver/

To make it work in the VM you just install the virtio packages from an ISO very similar to how VMWare and Virutalbox support this also.
                vbox applies all over the board, but if you are talking about qemu-3dfx from the post below? qemu 3dfx also is the origin of the virgl patch that makes virgl work on windows. also last I checked proxmox didn't support egl headless. so no proper remote display. Venus work seems to be stalled unfortunately. virtiogpu with 3d will not work on windows guests, and on linux guests most have 3d acceleration already with virgl.
                Last edited by Quackdoc; 27 May 2022, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

you can compile qemu on windows to have virgl support. hyper-v will have 3d acceleration... eventually
                  is there documentation for this (there is very less or none in comparison to Linux/Mac), https://gitlab.com/qtemu/gui Qtemu works sometimes but has very old UI, I always struggle to get gpu acceleration in Vmware in Windows, Hyper-V doesn't provide any easy option to do it , Discrete Device Assignment (DDA) is supported on Windows Server only , Remotefx is deprecated. if you have wrote blog post about this I would love to read it.

Comment

is there documentation for this (there is very less or none in comparison to Linux/Mac), https://gitlab.com/qtemu/gui Qtemu works sometimes but has very old UI, I always struggle to get gpu acceleration in Vmware in Windows, Hyper-V doesn't provide any easy option to do it , Discrete Device Assignment (DDA) is supported on Windows Server only , Remotefx is deprecated. if you have wrote blog post about this I would love to read it.
                    QTemu hasn't been updated in ages IIRC. so don't use that, just use a batch script and save yourself a migrane qemu has progressed a long way since qtemu has been relevant.

I don't have a blogpost. but if you are familiar with compiling things on windows (or any crosscompile environment anyway) it's pretty simple apply this patch https://github.com/kjliew/qemu-3dfx/...2-OpenGL.patch to qemu, (may need an update to qemu 7.0). and compile while enabling virglrenderer in msys2

Comment

3D acceleration running is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X