Lars Knoll Leaving The Qt Company, Starting New Chapter Outside Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lars Knoll Leaving The Qt Company, Starting New Chapter Outside Qt

Phoronix: Lars Knoll Leaving The Qt Company, Starting New Chapter Outside Qt

After 25 years being heavily involved in the Qt toolkit development, Lars Knoll announced today he is leaving The Qt Company where he currently serves as CTO and also largely departing from active work within the Qt community to "try out something else" moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The startup he mentions, can it be reMarkable? At least it's in Oslo... but it's not a small startup anymore. Anyway, he is certainly capable, so wherever he ends up, will have a great asset .

Comment

Without Lars, Qt would've likely been forked. I don't know the hard details and the timeline by now is a bit vague.. But i think it was either when nokia bought Qt or when Digia took over that the role of this man was of rather vital importance to keep the commercial and open source side of things together and not alienate the community. And to prevent a fork triggered by prominent Qt developers.

We owe this men a great deal
      Good luck and have fun in your next Adventure, Lars! It's well deserved!

Comment

This is the end of Qt. Everyone will be switching to GTK 5.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I'm not that worried now that Valve's using KDE with their OS. At the end of the day, if the Qt Company wants to dick around too much then Valve can use their profits from Microsoft Flight Simulator to hire contractors and developers to fork Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Ahhhhhhh.... That ugly UI ???

*PopcornGrabWhileWaitingForReplies*
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Ahhhhhhh.... That ugly UI ???

*PopcornGrabWhileWaitingForReplies*
              CSDs and Hamburgers and Bears, Oh My!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not that worried now that Valve's using KDE with their OS. At the end of the day, if the Qt Company wants to dick around too much then Valve can use their profits from Microsoft Flight Simulator to hire contractors and developers to fork Qt.
                Valve does not care much, they wanted something that is a 1:1 windows clone and nothing more. That a quality desktop experience is not their focus is clear, after all they decided to use KDE. I can not say I activated the desktop more then two times on my Deck, and each time was a truly awful experience, Dolphin and Discover are so bad I honestly believe they are some cruel joke.
                Honestly they should have rather integrated a File Manager and a Flatpak Manager UI and skipped that whole KDE thing as those are the only two things people activate KDE for anyways.

Comment

So he's going for something outside of Qt and outside of C++... obviously he's going GTK

Edit: Looked up Norwegian April Fool's. It's not today.
                  Last edited by bug77; 18 May 2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Valve does not care much, they wanted something that is a 1:1 windows clone and nothing more. That a quality desktop experience is not their focus is clear, after all they decided to use KDE. I can not say I activated the desktop more then two times on my Deck, and each time was a truly awful experience, Dolphin and Discover are so bad I honestly believe they are some cruel joke.
                    Honestly they should have rather integrated a File Manager and a Flatpak Manager UI and skipped that whole KDE thing as those are the only two things people activate KDE for anyways.
                    Well, they could have used Mate, Enlightenment, Cinnamon, or any other number of desktops if all they wanted was a Windows-like UI. Fedora with GNOME Classic would have fulfilled the Windows-looking, File Manager, and Flatpak Manager needs perfectly. I assumed they picked KDE because even though it is Windows-like, and therefore easy to use and figure out by the average person, it can also be configured to look like most anything anyone can imagine which is a nice feature if they want to scale well from 7" screens all they way up to 65" and more. While other desktop environments could fulfill that role, KDE comes with a lot of surrounding apps, features, and integrations that make the whole ecosystem very powerful.

I happen to like Dolphin the most out of any file manager. It does more than everything I need it to do so I never feel limited or constrained like I do with a lot of other file managers.

But I have to agree that Discover is a cruel joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X