Mozilla Firefox 100 Now Available With Various Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    Is the RDD/VA-API hardware acceleration bug still an issue in Firefox 100?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1751363
    Seems to not be a priority for them!

As the 3 months age of the bug report show.
    It seems that Mozilla doesn't care that without hardware acceleration many laptops consume more power, overheat and are louder because of the always spinning fans.

I can't believe that it was working fine, without disabling the sandbox and now they cannot or don't want to fix the regression, no matter how many disadvantages it has and how important it is for Linux users, including for those with portable PCs / consoles like Steam Deck!

But yet they have the time to always break the UI and usability with the always obsession of removing more free space, in the worst possible way where the width of screens is more than enough for everything.

Glad I saved the deb files (for Firefox and its translation files) for version 97 and I'm able to downgrade to have working hardware acceleration.
    I wonder WTF will the Snap guys will do with the always-forced-upgraded to latest version Snap version.
    I assume the situation is similar for the Flatpak guys as Flatpak doesn't allow you to download the full binary of the version that you want and save it in case of problems (at least from Flathub)

Mozilla seems to be on a path where it treats Linux users like third world citizens breaking even the long awaited hardware acceleration and refusing to fix the dam regression while having time to break the UI more and more.

I think I never liked too much their priorities and it seems they continue the same while wondering why Linux distros are switching from Firefox to other browsers as the default browser and many users are leaving Firefox in general.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      It was never the task of the window system. It's up to the application to do it. All the window system can do is offer options for default placement. Like "center" (which KDE lies about, it't not center.)
      Thanks, I didn't know that, here's a further confirmation: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...pps-Window-Pos

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You're not new here, so you know the drill: “if something isn't fixed, you should fix it yourself”.

Maybe its time to switch to pipe wire and or Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          ...I assume the situation is similar for the Flatpak guys as Flatpak doesn't allow you to download the full binary of the version that you want and save it in case of problems (at least from Flathub)...
          Assuming is always a bad idea.
          Code:
          flatpak remote-info --log <remote> <package>
          Find the commit that you want to downgrade/keep, then switch to that commit:
          Code:
          flatpak update --commit=<commitId> <package>
          ref. https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/w...ks#downgrading

Comment

Originally posted by browseria View Post

Assuming is always a bad idea.
            Code:
            flatpak remote-info --log <remote> <package>
            Find the commit that you want to downgrade/keep, then switch to that commit:
            Code:
            flatpak update --commit=<commitId> <package>
            ref. https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/w...ks#downgrading
            It should also be possible to build a bundle file from your local repo copy.

Comment

Glad I saved the deb files (for Firefox and its translation files) for version 97 and I'm able to downgrade to have working hardware acceleration.
              Have you tried to start Firefox with MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 ?

Comment

Wow this sucks. I was testdriving Ubuntu 22.04 live from flashdrive yesterday trying to install a gnome extension and being unable to, wasted 1 hour and found out it was due to snap firefox not being able to communicate the way .deb could. Not only that the initial startup time of firefox is absolutely terrible. I just don't get why they're are pushing this snap garbage, and flatpak isn't that great either, the /var/lib/flatpak bloat it introduces often matches the size of root partition where underlying OS is installed, it's like having 2 OSes.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Old Grouch Use autoscroll for content that is too large for the page.
                  Thank you for the suggestion

I tried it. It gives me motion sickness.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Considering web browsers don't have much use for horizontal space, it is pretty weird to me they would attempt to save space by removing scroll bars.
                    erm... I'm not sure why everyone seems to have the memory of a goldfish, but this was *GNOME's* decision, not Firefox's. Like 8 years ago.

What *is* Mozilla's fault is the trainwreck custom version of GTK they use that ignores TF out of the user's actual settings (and CSS) and uses whatever garbage they compiled into the build instead. FF scrollbars have rendered correctly for about 2 months out of the last 5 years, and I expect only managed even that much by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      In 2022, Firefox still can't do one of the most basic features of a desktop application Every time I start Firefox, I have to move the window.
                      devilspie. I've been using that to work around this exact bug (and literally nothing else) for a very very long time now...

Comment

Working...
                      X