Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It's not officially out yet.
    Not having the official release information available limits the usefulness of such pieces of news. Michael should have the patience because rushing to report only makes him look incompetent as highlighted by the original comment.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Considering web browsers don't have much use for horizontal space, it is pretty weird to me they would attempt to save space by removing scroll bars.
      Scrollbars are not being hidden, they are changed to be "floating" instead of occupying a fixed amount of space from the viewport.

It has been a constant annoyance for web developers, that when the content initially fits the window, no scrollbars are displayed, but when the content happens to grow larger than the viewport, then scrollbars will appear and the webpage will visibly shift a few pixels to the left, also potentially changing width due to proportional sizing etc.

This problem has completely been created by the "stupid" way of how scrollbars have been implemented in the past. The only proper way to work around horizontal content shift was to force scrollbars on even if they weren't needed, which again isn't aesthetically pleasing. There are also numerous CSS hacks that work with limited proofs-of-concept but break down with real-world websites.

Unfortunately (or not) floating scrollbars are the only way to make it work, and it also kind of dictates that scrollbars be initially hidden until the user "triggers" them with explicitly. Otherwise scrollbars would be partially covering the content and that is a big no no.

This same dilemma of aesthetics vs. hardcore accessibility has plagued desktop apps as well, most notably file browsers.

Comment

Is the RDD/VA-API hardware acceleration bug still an issue in Firefox 100?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          That's the task of your window system, not Firefox'. AFAIK Kwin/KDE does that beautifully.
          It was never the task of the window system. It's up to the application to do it. All the window system can do is offer options for default placement. Like "center" (which KDE lies about, it't not center.)

It even says so in the kde system settings:

Screenshot_20220503_134149.png

"Allow apps to remember their positions, if they support it." In 2022, Firefox still can't do one of the most basic features of a desktop application Every time I start Firefox, I have to move the window.
          Last edited by RealNC; 03 May 2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

No midi support? ?

Comment

just a little more and they will beat chromium to another thing (version number)

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4life View Post
                You're not new here, so you know the drill: “if something isn't fixed, you should fix it yourself”.

Comment

Overlay scroll bars are fine. It's just some old vocal minority crying about it.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    Scrollbars are not being hidden, they are changed to be "floating" instead of occupying a fixed amount of space from the viewport.
                    *sigh* I know. Excuse my lack of precision.
                    It has been a constant annoyance for web developers, that when the content initially fits the window, no scrollbars are displayed, but when the content happens to grow larger than the viewport, then scrollbars will appear and the webpage will visibly shift a few pixels to the left, also potentially changing width due to proportional sizing etc.

This problem has completely been created by the "stupid" way of how scrollbars have been implemented in the past. The only proper way to work around horizontal content shift was to force scrollbars on even if they weren't needed, which again isn't aesthetically pleasing. There are also numerous CSS hacks that work with limited proofs-of-concept but break down with real-world websites.
                    I'm aware of this problem and I think forcing the scrollbars on isn't such a big deal, especially since your brain kinda just filters it out since it's a constant. Granted, I don't really care that much about floating scrollbars either, so long as there's some visual cue.

Comment

Subtitles in PiP is a nice feature I miss for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X