Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRaC5a6xOY0

Comment

Considering web browsers don't have much use for horizontal space, it is pretty weird to me they would attempt to save space by removing scroll bars. As mentioned though, you can always un-hide it. Frankly, I don't really ever have a use for the scrollbar other than to know how far down the page I am or maybe to quickly scroll to the top/bottom of the page (I usually just press the home or end key instead).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Considering web browsers don't have much use for horizontal space, it is pretty weird to me they would attempt to save space by removing scroll bars. As mentioned though, you can always un-hide it. Frankly, I don't really ever have a use for the scrollbar other than to know how far down the page I am or maybe to quickly scroll to the top/bottom of the page (I usually just press the home or end key instead).
        Yeah, especially when so many websites are like Phoronix and have shitty horizontal/16x9 layouts with almost as much padding as there is article and forum content. If sites were actually utilizing all the space maybe this would matter, but they're not so all the FF devs are doing is removing context clues and things that help. Adding in yet another thing you have to know exists to hover your mouse over to use it and another setting you have to know exists in the low level settings to enable or disable.

I use my scroll wheel, but I still like the bar as a visual clue to know how big or small the page is.

Comment

Yeah let's remove scrollbars while making text 50% bigger. That will really save a lot of space! Some day we'll fit one single letter on the entire screen so of course we need all the screen real estate we can, to be able to analyze the beautiful font after all...

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            I'm amazed that in 120 minutes 63, 64 with me, people were interested enough to watch you compile Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I use my scroll wheel, but I still like the bar as a visual clue to know how big or small the page is.
              With the currently fashionable 'infinite scrolling', it's of limited utility. Like you, I like the visual cue as to the size of the page, but I fear that battle is being lost.

A <i>useful</i> addition would be 'grab-and-move' for images displayed in their own tabs where the image size exceeds the window size. Having to find the (horizontal) scroll-bar is a pain.(Yes, I know the scroll wheel allows up/down movement, and Ctrl-scroll allows zoom in/out, and Shift-scroll allows left-right, but the Geeqie controls where you just click-and-hold-down an oversize image and move it around works for me).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                That's the task of your window system, not Firefox'. AFAIK Kwin/KDE does that beautifully.
                It is relating to both. For example the WM shouldn't remember sizes for individual programs, however it does need to set the size properly.

Many window managers do a maximize by simply setting the window size to the screen size. This is no good because the program will next start up in a window of that size (tiling window managers such as DWM and i3 do this incorrectly). Instead it should notify the window it has been maximized before setting the screen bounds. That way a properly behaving program will know to start up either full screen or in its un-maximized window state at its smaller size before maximization.

Comment

Old Grouch Use autoscroll for content that is too large for the page. Works wonders for those on a mouse and pretty much does exactly what you're looking for except you don't have to hold down anything and it works for all kinds of content. The only problem with autoscroll on Linux is it uses middle-click, so, you basically have to aim anywhere on the page that either won't open a new tab or won't paste text. That's not too hard and is rarely a problem when you need to horizontally scroll, but just something to keep in mind. It's a little amusing to me, because most people I know never use the middle button for anything, and yet, it has several functions.
                  Somewhat unrelated note: middle-clicking the tab is a faster and easier way to close it. One of the things I like more about Firefox rather than Chrome is that you can remove the close button on each tab, which gives more room for text. I never click the close button anymore.
                  On a more unrelated note but somewhat related to my first post: I also like Firefox better because it has great options for vertical tabs. Like I said before, horizontal space isn't worth much in web browsers, so it's nice to use up a large chunk of it with tabs. Not only is the concept of vertical tabs more practical, but you can have groups and sub-groups of tabs, and most of the text is always legible regardless of how many tabs you have.

Anyway, for those with trackpads, 2-finger scrolling works fine horizontally so there's no need for an extra feature.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 May 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

recently in germany ...me waiting in foreigners registration office.

Me waiting
                    Clerk typing...
                    *Supervisor passes by*
                    Clerk "Oh its good to see you boss.. could you show me where to switch on the printer?"
                    Supervisor "*rolling eyes* Mrs. XYZ ...I have multiple times showed you the button"

True story!
                    You will find similar stories in any organization. There are, and always will be people that, for the life of them, cannot be technology savvy, no matter their gender, age or level of education. One day I saw a Windows PC with 3 (!!!) antivirus software installed and the user was surprised when I told you are not supposed to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      It can be disabled:
                      BTW the final release says:
                      Scrollbars on Linux and Windows 11 won't take space by default. On Linux, users can change this in Settings. On Windows, Firefox follows the system setting (System Settings > Accessibility > Visual Effects > Always show scrollbars).

Comment

Working...
                      X