Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV LBVH Ray-Tracing Code Lands In Mesa 22.2

Phoronix: RADV LBVH Ray-Tracing Code Lands In Mesa 22.2

The Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" LBVH support has landed for boosting the Vulkan ray-tracing potential for this open-source driver. The LBVH patch series is what I reported on earlier this month for at least one workload going from around 13 to 250 FPS boost...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good progress, but something like Cyberpunk 2077 is still crashing with ray tracing enabled. I suppose vkd3d-proton work is still missing. It's marked as one of the last steps here:

Comment

There are a few other merge requests open that might help some games or improve performance. For example:
      Seems to improve RT performance a lot. I'm not sure about the last commit though, it's a bit complicated and doesn't noticeably change Quake II RTX or Control...

and especially:

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Good progress, but something like Cyberpunk 2077 is still crashing with ray tracing enabled. I suppose vkd3d-proton work is still missing. It's marked as one of the last steps here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6076
        Is Cyberpunk 2077 playable with RT using the proprietary AMD driver and how would I do that? I bought it and off course would like try to use RT with my RX 6800XT. I am on Manjaro.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post

Is Cyberpunk 2077 playable with RT using the proprietary AMD driver and how would I do that? I bought it and off course would like try to use RT with my RX 6800XT. I am on Manjaro.
          I assume if vkd3d-proton needs work, ray tracing won't be usable no matter what driver.

Feel free to experiment of course since you already have the game. I never used their proprietary driver personally.

Comment

I guess you need to try yourself. You'll need to set
            Code:
            VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr11 %command%
            in the launch options for the game on steam probably. With radv you'd also need the option
            Code:
            RADV_PERFTEST=rt
            , but since you use the proprietary driver this is not necessary. Then just start the game and see if you can activate raytracing in the options.

A few months ago this crashed with radv, I didn't test since then.

The dxr11 thing is documented here: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...eases/tag/v2.5
            I didn't check if v2.6 changes anything in this regard.
            Last edited by mazumoto; 03 May 2022, 01:00 PM. Reason: corrected environment variable name (it's RADV_PERFTEST, not RADV_DEBUG)

Comment

People must remember majority of NVIDIA users playing CP2077 have DLSS enabled also which gives them quite a massive boost to the point 4k with RT is fine when DLSS is configured correctly, without DLSS the performance is likely 30-40fps at 2160p.

Comment

I would use gamescope to upscale with AMD's FSR.

Stay away from any AMD proprietary driver on Linux. It exists only for some workstation work, and is going to be abandoned at some point, with a lot of effort being put recently by AMD employees on optimizing corner cases in mesa.

Comment

I've installed the latest mesa build from che's COPR repo on Fedora that includes this PR and I still get GPU crashes when running GravityMark in Vulkan RT mode on reference RX 6700 XT. What options should I run it with to get to see numerous nicely raytraced asteroids?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
                    I've installed the latest mesa build from che's COPR repo on Fedora that includes this PR and I still get GPU crashes when running GravityMark in Vulkan RT mode on reference RX 6700 XT. What options should I run it with to get to see numerous nicely raytraced asteroids?
                    I think there are a few different merge requests still open related to ray tracing, some of them performance related and others fixing bugs and crashes.

So it's probably not ready yet. Give it a month or two and try again, would be my suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    X