No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Reportedly Close To Admitting Defeat In Arm Acquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of people seem to show high interest in dropping x86 in favor of ARM/RISC-V. Is it because of less CPU vulnerabilities, or are there other reasons as well?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      A lot of people seem to show high interest in dropping x86 in favor of ARM/RISC-V. Is it because of less CPU vulnerabilities, or are there other reasons as well?
      Lots of reasons for that. Everything from avoiding technology monopolies, transparency and licensing flexibility which spurs competition and innovation, lower power consumptions, ability to scale all the way down to small boards that cost a couple of dollars to scale up to large servers that can be the backbone of data centers and so on.

Comment

Now that is something to celebrate.

Comment

I guess its mostly people that do not notice ARM beeing effected by many of those vulnerabilitys too and a strange misconception that x86 is old or contains a huge load of backwards compatibility.

With RISC-V its a little different, because it is license free and would give smaller companys the chance to rise up. But RISC-V has a long way to be a full replacement of current x86 in all spaces.

Comment

not x86 it self by design but all the "security" extensions implemented by vendors like PSP or Pluton. Intel ME comes in mind too

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post

Right, some of us are old enough to remember when nvidia bought their main competitor, 3dfx.
              Wait, did 3dfx license anything? Did NVIDIA's acquisition mean anything bad? Oh, wait, NVIDIA basically salvaged 3dfx' IP and hired a lot of 3dfx employees. Maybe we remember different things but NVIDIA definitely did not acquire 3dfx to destroy them. 3dfx destroyed themselves long before NVIDIA.

Comment

Right, some of us are old enough to remember when nvidia bought their main competitor, 3dfx.
                Just for that sweet SLI name...

Comment

NVIDIA did not buy 3dfx, NVIDIA bought 3dfx' assets/IP after 3dfx announced bankruptcy. Maybe your message was meant to be sarcasm but it was not obvious at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Good!
                    One less European company destroyed by American companies
                    Even though the UK is not in the Eu anymore.
                    I still remember how Microsoft manage to destroy two, Nokia and Skype.
                    Now I hear they are out to destroy gaming companies.
                    As for Nvidia, fuck you, I'm glad that you lost!
                    Microsoft hasn't not destroyed Skype. They never jumped on the bandwagon of phone number registration (which IMO is a horrible invasion on privacy which people rarely talk about) and that didn't help with Skype's popularity and meant other IMs took the lead. The Skype messenger is very much alive even though most people have abandoned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Good!
                      One less European company destroyed by American companies
                      Even though the UK is not in the Eu anymore.
                      I still remember how Microsoft manage to destroy two, Nokia and Skype.
                      Now I hear they are out to destroy gaming companies.
                      As for Nvidia, fuck you, I'm glad that you lost!
                      It's no longer a UK company, it was bought when the fall of Stirling due to BrExit made it a cheap buy for China - SoftBank is mentioned in the article

Comment

Working...
                      X