Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Reportedly Close To Admitting Defeat In Arm Acquisition

Phoronix: NVIDIA Reportedly Close To Admitting Defeat In Arm Acquisition

According to a report this morning from Bloomberg, NVIDIA is communicating to their partners that they face the real possibility their deal to acquire Arm will not come to pass...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NVIDIA haters may rejoice at the fact that the company has lost off $1.25 billions because of it.

I personally have no feelings at all. ARM's primary cash cow has been IP licensing and NVIDIA's acquisition wouldn't have changed that unless NVIDIA wanted to shoot themselves in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I personally have no feelings at all. ARM's primary cash cow has been IP licensing and NVIDIA's acquisition wouldn't have changed that unless NVIDIA wanted to shoot themselves in the foot.
      It would be impossible to assert that IP licensing terms won't change. Companies often do shoot themselves in the foot by squandering acquisitions. Successful large acquisitions are relatively rare.

Comment

Good. The US has shown little regard for regulating the massive IT monopolies that have come about due to the corruption in US politics. It's bad enough that this British company is owned by foreigners as is, but at least it isn't going to fall into the hands of a US-based company.

Chip making/design is a national security issue and I feel better knowing that a country that prioritises bombing people in third-world countries for profit over the needs of it's own people doesn't have the monopoly on CPU design.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It would be impossible to assert that IP licensing terms won't change. Companies often do shoot themselves in the foot by squandering acquisitions. Successful large acquisitions are relatively rare.
          Right, some of us are old enough to remember when nvidia bought their main competitor, 3dfx.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            ARM's primary cash cow has been IP licensing and NVIDIA's acquisition wouldn't have changed that unless NVIDIA wanted to shoot themselves in the foot.
            Pure speculation. You do not know what would happen.

Comment

That may slow RISC-V adoption a little bit, but it is a big win for all the companies currently relying on ARM IP.

Comment

Good!
                One less European company destroyed by American companies
                Even though the UK is not in the Eu anymore.
                I still remember how Microsoft manage to destroy two, Nokia and Skype.
                Now I hear they are out to destroy gaming companies.
                As for Nvidia, fuck you, I'm glad that you lost!

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  It would be impossible to assert that IP licensing terms won't change.
                  Yes, Nvidia could have taken over ARM and continued all running IP-Licenses but keep all new developed IP to them selfes or poisened it with proprietary stuff. That would lead to many ARM licens users developing their last IP on their own and ultimatley fragmentation and decline of ARM. Considering Nvidias behaviour in the past I find that very likely to have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    That may slow RISC-V adoption a little bit
                    Or Nvidia could now throw money at RISC-V and speed up it's adoption.

Comment

Working...
                    X