Qt Launches Digital Advertising Platform To Integrate Ads Into App UIs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
    What we will definitely need to address as community, is DoH ... because that will give control on host & domains to whoever owns the web-site.
    huh? just run your own DoH server.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't like the idea that my desktop UI can talk to ad servers
      From what I understand, this will work as a plugin that developers may optionally use, so if it's not a main part of Qt, I don't see how it can affect KDE in any way.
      Last edited by user1; 18 January 2022, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

3. Don't use your PC/smartphone/etc - read books.
        Lol, this sounds like what some parents say to their kids who spend too much time on screens

Comment

LMAO please don't, it can land you in prison.
          I wouldn't. Just a fantasy that I have.

FWIW, I actually don't drive after dark if I don't have to due to how sensitive my eyes are in darkness. For example, bright red brake lights put purple dots in my vision for a couple minutes. If it's bad enough I have to pull over, close my eyes, and wait a few minutes for my eyes to relax and the dots to go away. Another one is most (wire-fed) welders I know have their lens darkness set between 9 to 11 where I'll use 12-13 for the same thing because my eyes are that much more sensitive to lights in darkness.

While overly bright lights in darkness really bother my light sensitive eyes it's a godsend when I'm at a dark site with my telescope or just outside at night in general because I can see a lot more than most. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

huh? just run your own DoH server.
            Would be nice. But the web-page will define the DNS over HTTP to go to for target FQDN etc..
            So no, you cannot intercept it as you do currently with regular DNS or DoS. You will need to have a transparent proxy in between that is able to identify the DoH requests and reroute these. I have yet to find such thing!
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

If this is real...
              I predict the end of KDE is near...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                tbh what killed Qt for me is QML. Seemed like a good idea. I don't think it is.
                Well, a weakly typed language without static type checking (JS) replaced a strongly typed statically typed language (Java) in the browser. It's no surprise people favor the JS inspired language over the horrendous C++ / MOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Would be nice. But the web-page will define the DNS over HTTP to go to for target FQDN etc..
                  So no, you cannot intercept it as you do currently with regular DNS or DoS. You will need to have a transparent proxy in between that is able to identify the DoH requests and reroute these. I have yet to find such thing!
                  uh, so webpages have IPs of a DoH server hardcoded these days and directly communicate with these? I would have assumed configuring a different server in the browser would be sufficient.

Comment

4. Maybe grow some patience - billboards are everywhere, why don't you go around buring them down?
                    This is a terrible analogy. Billboards are just sitting there, they don't go to you, you have to actively look at them.
                    Ads pop up, blocking whatever you're doing and scream at you to buy things. They are extremely dehumanizing and disruptive. Little banners at the bottom of the screen aren't so bad, but the problem is, that's never enough for some people. Some developers and advertisers really have to make the ad scream at you and not let you do anything until you've sat through it.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                      If this is real...
                      I predict the end of KDE is near...
                      Only if the KDE community decides that the way to achieve a reliable revenue stream for development is that every app opens with a click through ad......

This is an optional library service. It does not have to be used (there are tons of capabilities in Qt that are only used by a few, but important, subset of the Qt licensees). The Qt Company is going to be responsive to the needs of their paying customers, and that some of those customers have requested an integrated advertising platform is not exactly unexpected given where Qt is being used.

Comment

Working...
                      X