X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post

It's politics not to sexually harass people or embarrass the open source community?
    Of course not, but that's not all it's about, is it?

Leave a comment:

• chocolate
    replied
    Originally posted by stevecrox View Post
    Lastly the whole point of the Free Software Foundation is to promote free software. That means being able to effectively communicate with software engineers and non software engineers. You wouldn't ask someone who could swim to be a lifeguard, why ask someone who is socially awkward to take on a role which requires highly excellent social skills?
    I get what you mean, but I'm afraid I'm only able to answer you (hopefully you weren't rhetorical) by repeating myself. In any case, stay assured I am grateful for this conversation, and I hope I don't come off as obtuse.
    Firstly, I just proved to you how Stallman has been instrumental in one of the biggest, politically relevant free software initiatives in one of the founding members of the European Union before free software as a credible digitalization solution became effectively law. His contribution must have accounted for something. So this is already addressed on an individual level to attenuate his character assassination.

Secondly, on a board level, again, the already mentioned point 11 states that the board will only speak as a whole going forward.
    And as a donor to the FSF, I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Shooing people away because an illiterate internet mob says so would be antithetical to the FSF (this, in short, is my whole view on this).
    Sure, I'm grateful to the person, but it's not even about Stallman anymore; at this point, it's become a matter of principle. People that are truly passionate about software freedom as originally defined in and for GNU are already rare as it is. I don't want to further filter that group just for having a "perfect" board made of impossibly perfect people, potentially to the detriment of the quality of the board's output. I want people with incorruptible minds and strong opinions. And I want them regardless of their forgivable imperfections. I hope you understand my position as well!

Leave a comment:

• chocolate
    replied
    Originally posted by alcalde View Post
    or defended statutory rape either
    Hopefully he isn't a role model for cyber defamation on the basis of provably false accusations, either.

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by stevecrox View Post

You wouldn't ask someone who could[n't] swim to be a lifeguard, why ask someone who is socially awkward to take on a role which requires highly excellent social skills?
    I've been saying this for many years now. Regardless of their legal or software contributions, both Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds are horrible, horrible choices to be the public face of open source (although Torvalds gets a lot of credit for trying to improve; and Stallman negative points for refusing to try). I mean, at one point in time you had Stallman picking something off his foot and eating it at a public forum and Linux Torvalds giving the middle finger to corporations and whining about whether he'd have to wear a tie next like he was an eleven-year-old being forced to go to church. Don't even get me started on Eric S. Raymond, who I even used to defend until the time he told me in an online exchange that black people are underrepresented in tech because they're not mentally/genetically capable of being good software developers; only white and Asian males are. There was no defending that one.

My choice then... and now... is making Steven Fry the public face of open source. He's intelligent and well-spoken and personable and respectable and funny and popular. Also, I don't think he's ever told anyone to go kill themselves or defended statutory rape either, which sadly provides bonus points in our community. Consider this his audition tape....

Stephen Fry wishes happy birthday to GNU and celebrates free software

Leave a comment:

• alcalde
    replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Somehow all news I've heard about FSF over this year are some bs waste of time code of ethics nonsense that's very poorly thought out, and Richard Stallman getting kicked out of his own organization by sjws.... I suppose with the latter, the former isn't really much surprise, I mean...

The FSF is just an SJW mouthpiece now isn't it? Nothing more? This is what it's been reduced to in Stallman's absence isn't it? No more 'free software' foundation, just 'free politics' foundation now?
    It's politics not to sexually harass people or embarrass the open source community?

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Several of the people that resigned from the FSF in protest stated that at FSF events, the FSF Board published a code of conduct.

Then when members of the board violated the code and complaints were filed, nothing was done.

This isn't rocket science and it isn't "woke SJW bullshit". If you make a set of rules for all people at an event and enforce those rules for the guests but not the staff, you are hypocrites.

Stallman is a world class genius and a visionary. But the fact that he can't figure that out is appalling. I've donated hundreds to the FSF, and I will keep donating to the SFC and other FOSS organizations. But never again to the FSF. Not with these hypocrites in charge. Live by your own rules.

Leave a comment:

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    This is addressed in point 8 of their new "Code of Ethics". Have you read all the material? It's quite short and to the point, looks decently thought out to me.
    Thanks - I agree, though I maintain that it's far from being six months worth of work. :P

I don't share your optimism about the practical outcome of this though. We've seen numerous cases where Codes Of XYZ have been weaponized by sociopaths who saw a way to leverage them to the benefit of their specific clique, at the expense of the majority and to the detriment of the organization or group as a whole - generally including at least some of those who naively supported the "takeover" because they were bludgeoned or manipulated into it by actors whipping the situation to provoke an emotional response and/or painting them as guilty by association if they didn't: basically, the "Think of the children" and "If you're not with us you're against us" tactics of authoritarians for centuries.

Whether that happens to the FSF too is anybody's guess, but given the potential monetary value of the assets involved here it seems to me far more likely that things will end badly than not. The FSF doesn't have a great track record so far, and I don't think anyone really understands just how far some people will go to get what they want until they experience it firsthand.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

If you feel targeted by two comment replies, you should seek professional help.
    I would have need professional help because I insist wasting my time here... 🤦‍♂️

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Am I your today (yesterday) target?
    If you feel targeted by two comment replies, you should seek professional help.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied

Dude, plenty of people here have a deep understanding of ethics...
    Sure, just not here. Also the majorities here aren't interested in anything the FSF does, no matter what about the presence of RMS.

What's depressing is that you think Michael should avoid publishing stories because some people have comments about the REAL SCENARIO he is documenting that you don't agree with.
    Am I your today (yesterday) target?

Very few people in these thread read the content of those links, they don't know anything about the FSF or RMS, nor are actually interested in such topics... C'mon...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X