Microsoft To Make Windows Terminal The Default Choice On Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    The real question is: is it better than Konsole/Gnome Terminal?
    Definitely not, but it's a hell of a lot better than just about any other free alternative that natively runs on Windows. It's perfectly usable.
    I wish it had bookmarks, but I just created a PS script that runs every time you open a new tab which has my bookmarks, so, it works out.

Comment

I hate to say it, but yes, it's better (at my opinion for my use cases).
      Just try it. You can configure almost everything via json settings file.

Last edited by RedEyed; 15 December 2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Definitely superior, and I have only been using it for four days.

In fact, I'm taking this opportunity to learn JSON so that it can be configured for more than just the default frontend for PowerShell and CMD.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

I hate to say it, but yes, it's better (at my opinion for my use cases).
          Just try it. You can configure almost everything via json settings file.

Have you found a way to elevate console permissions using start-process -Verb runas in Windows Terminal in such a way that the new elevated console opens up as a new tab in Windows Terminal and not as its own Powershell or CMD window?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Have you found a way to elevate console permissions using start-process -Verb runas in Windows Terminal in such a way that the new elevated console opens up as a new tab in Windows Terminal and not as its own Powershell or CMD window?
            I didn't need that, therefore never asked

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Maybe it will help.
              I found that single instance mode is going to be supported
              Release Windows Terminal Preview v1.7.572.0 ยท microsoft/terminal (github.com)

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

I didn't need that, therefore never asked
                That's unfortunate.

I run Windows on a Standard user account for security, so privilege elevation is kind of a very major part of my workflow. I will very much prefer all my terminals (restricted and privileged) to exist as tabs in Windows Terminal and not have the privileged consoles exist as their own CMD or Powershell window.

Comment

Originally posted by BaumKuchen View Post
                  Took them only 20+ years.
                  Maybe in another 20 they will come up with proper filesystem.
                  Nope, the filesystem is almost the immutable part of any Windows after NT, therefore is where M$ backdoors lie.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    Another step forward in the EEE strategy
                    I know some Phoronix readers have this BS on hotkey, but just for the sake of our amusement: what exactly is being extinguished here? The concept of terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post

I know some Phoronix readers have this BS on hotkey, but just for the sake of our amusement: what exactly is being extinguished here? The concept of terminals?
                      But this is not Phoronix anymore, this place became M$onix...
                      Last edited by Danielsan; 15 December 2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X