Microsoft To Make Windows Terminal The Default Choice On Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Uuuh... What? I can understand emojis in a chat app and maybe email, but what use is there for them in a terminal?
    Instead of "Error: 154" you'll get "I has crashed "

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What's little and late? Wake me up when Linux becomes an OS for mere mortals.

And for tech geeks? They've used Putty + screen/tmux for two decades now. No one has complained too much.
      Hey Google, have Alexa tell Siri to remind me to remind birdie about SteamOS 3.0 when it releases.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Hey Google, have Alexa tell Siri to remind me to remind birdie about SteamOS 3.0 when it releases.

Comment

The real question is: is it better than Konsole/Gnome Terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
            Without the CLA, they simply don't fully own the code and have to ask anyone even with minor contributions for permission to relicense the code, which might obviously be an issue for them if they want to use the software as part of a large range of proprietary products. Patents are just a part of the issue.
            It's MIT licenced. They could change the license of their own parts and distribute closed proprietary binaries all they want even without the CLA as long as they had a statement about it containing MIT code from others.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Uuuh... What? I can understand emojis in a chat app and maybe email, but what use is there for them in a terminal?
              You're making it sound like supporting full unicode range is somehow a bad thing. Maybe you interact with chat or email dumps in your terminal and don't want to lookup U+3614 manually.

Comment

Now watch as they make a Windows Terminal Pro Edition that's a completely separate and incompatible proprietary product, because MS simply cannot stop making competing products and sapping developer resources out of both of them. That's why I stopped using C#; Visual Studio sucks, Omnisharp for VSCode sucks (and people kept making fun of me for using it), they could just focus on one good tool instead of two dogshit ones. They've never stopped doing it before, why stop now? Remember Windows 10X?

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
                  You're making it sound like supporting full unicode range is somehow a bad thing. Maybe you interact with chat or email dumps in your terminal and don't want to lookup U+3614 manually.
                  If this was about Unicode they'd talk about Unicode, not about emojis specifically.

Comment

I have to say it is a really good one. Been using it since alpha and have configured it as the Linux one.
                    Has a really neat trick to allow ctrl c and ctrl v to be used both as copy paste and regular control break / block select.
                    With also finally powershell and package manager I don't miss my Arch Linux that much and don't have to use WSL abomination either.

Comment

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
                      I have to say it is a really good one. Been using it since alpha and have configured it as the Linux one.
                      Has a really neat trick to allow ctrl c and ctrl v to be used both as copy paste and regular control break / block select.
                      With also finally powershell and package manager I don't miss my Arch Linux that much and don't have to use WSL abomination either.
                      Powershell is still quite incomplete. There are a lot of useful administrative tools and utilities in CMD that have yet to receive PowerShell equivalents, ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew being two examples.

Of course both Powershell the terminal and Powershell the scripting language allow for CMD commands to be run, but it feels out of place. It's one of the things I really miss from Linux; having commands for almost every operation.

And why the hell does Microsoft pitch Powershell as a modern alternative to CMD and then disable PS1 scripts from running in Windows?!

Comment

Working...
                      X