Microsoft To Make Windows Terminal The Default Choice On Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft To Make Windows Terminal The Default Choice On Windows 11

Phoronix: Microsoft To Make Windows Terminal The Default Choice On Windows 11

Back in early 2019 Microsoft announced Windows Terminal as a new terminal for Windows that seemed rather Linux-inspired and supported tabs and other modern functionality. Beginning in 2022, Microsoft will make Windows Terminal their default terminal program on Windows 11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's already the default.

Comment

Too little, far too late.

MS could have done this a decade ago, but they never believed the terminal mattered to end users. So be it.

We on Linux have had all the advances they refused to even consider for a very long time.

Mark my words, they are going to let us Linux users fix up their terminal for them, and then they will endlessly pretend they did it themselves and probably whine that they own the stuff we contribute to their closed source abomination.

Still, they are using Github at least. About time they took an interest.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
        You'd hope they would since they own it.

Comment

Too little, far too late.

MS could have done this a decade ago, but they never believed the terminal mattered to end users.
          Never has and never will.

The fact that Windows and macOS are completely usable without resorting to it while desktop Linux depends on it to near ridiculous levels says it all.

Comment

Took them only 20+ years.
            Maybe in another 20 they will come up with proper filesystem.

Comment

Mark my words, they are going to let us Linux users fix up their terminal for them, and then they will endlessly pretend they did it themselves and probably whine that they own the stuff we contribute to their closed source abomination.
              You have to sign a CLA to contribute to their projects. They could close its source anytime they want.

They own GitHub

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Never has and never will.

The fact that Windows and macOS are completely usable without resorting to it while desktop Linux depends on it to near ridiculous levels says it all.
                Everything you can do without terminal at MacOs you can do with Plasma Desktop too. I Don't know about Windows, I don't use it since XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                  You have to sign a CLA to contribute to their projects. They could close its source anytime they want.
                  This is not even remotely how software licenses work.
                  CLAs have absolutely nothing to do with the software license.
                  Please don't make things up.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

Everything you can do without terminal at MacOs you can do with Plasma Desktop too. I Don't know about Windows, I don't use it since XP.
                    Not only that, but there are tons of advanced configuration parameters in macos that you can only modify via the terminal.

Comment

Working...
                    X