Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inopia
    replied
    Does CLA have any real effect when the software is already MIT licensed? All I can think of is using it to prevent major contributions from having their own license headers or changing their license headers in the future.

Any license change from Microsoft could be met with a simple fork of latest MIT code.

CLA is much more effective when paired with GPL and other more restrictive licenses as it allows relicensing to accommodate special needs. MIT code you can take and include with whatever other licenses anyways.

EDIT oh right its about patent protection. Seems very reasonable from MS covering their ass in that regard so that nobody tries to sneak in their patented technology just to sue MS down the line.
    Last edited by Inopia; 15 December 2021, 05:45 AM. Reason: Patents

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

This is not even remotely how software licenses work.
    CLAs have absolutely nothing to do with the software license.
    Please don't make things up.
    Were you maybe thinking of Conjugated Linoleic Acid?

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied

Contributor License Agreement (microsoft.com)
    1. Licenses.
    • Copyright License. You grant Microsoft, and those who receive the Submission directly or indirectly from Microsoft, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable license in the Submission to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute the Submission and such derivative works, and to sublicense any or all of the foregoing rights to third parties.
    • Patent License. You grant Microsoft, and those who receive the Submission directly or indirectly from Microsoft, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable license under Your patent claims that are necessarily infringed by the Submission or the combination of the Submission with the Project to which it was Submitted to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell and import or otherwise dispose of the Submission alone or with the Project.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

It doesn't change the license of existing software released but it can be used to change the license of future releases because CLA is often used to aggregate ownership or give the original authors very broad rights to relicense however they wish to. In the case of permissively licensed software, it may not matter as much but it does matter for reciprocal licensed software. If the absence of CLA and with distributed copyright, everyone who contributes is on equal footing as far as the license goes since the authors cannot unilaterally change the license of a future release.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    Yeah, yeah, I know it's a very appropriate place to sit on windows and ms, but hey - at least they took critique and made something to improve their bullshit os. Whenever I'll need to deal with it for a second, it won't be as painful as it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied
    Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

Everything you can do without terminal at MacOs you can do with Plasma Desktop too. I Don't know about Windows, I don't use it since XP.
    Not only that, but there are tons of advanced configuration parameters in macos that you can only modify via the terminal.

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post
    You have to sign a CLA to contribute to their projects. They could close its source anytime they want.

Leave a comment:

• andreduartesp
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Never has and never will.

The fact that Windows and macOS are completely usable without resorting to it while desktop Linux depends on it to near ridiculous levels says it all.
    Everything you can do without terminal at MacOs you can do with Plasma Desktop too. I Don't know about Windows, I don't use it since XP.

Leave a comment:

• Setif
    replied
    Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
    Mark my words, they are going to let us Linux users fix up their terminal for them, and then they will endlessly pretend they did it themselves and probably whine that they own the stuff we contribute to their closed source abomination.
    You have to sign a CLA to contribute to their projects. They could close its source anytime they want.

Still, they are using Github at least. About time they took an interest.
    They own GitHub

Leave a comment:

• BaumKuchen
    replied
    Took them only 20+ years.
    Maybe in another 20 they will come up with proper filesystem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X