X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inopia
    replied
    Originally posted by wagaf View Post
    Without the CLA, they simply don't fully own the code and have to ask anyone even with minor contributions for permission to relicense the code, which might obviously be an issue for them if they want to use the software as part of a large range of proprietary products. Patents are just a part of the issue.
    It's MIT licenced. They could change the license of their own parts and distribute closed proprietary binaries all they want even without the CLA as long as they had a statement about it containing MIT code from others.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    The real question is: is it better than Konsole/Gnome Terminal?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Hey Google, have Alexa tell Siri to remind me to remind birdie about SteamOS 3.0 when it releases.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

What's little and late? Wake me up when Linux becomes an OS for mere mortals.

And for tech geeks? They've used Putty + screen/tmux for two decades now. No one has complained too much.
    Hey Google, have Alexa tell Siri to remind me to remind birdie about SteamOS 3.0 when it releases.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Uuuh... What? I can understand emojis in a chat app and maybe email, but what use is there for them in a terminal?
    Instead of "Error: 154" you'll get "I has crashed "

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    ...with time added extra features including more colors, emojis, and other "bling"
    Uuuh... What? I can understand emojis in a chat app and maybe email, but what use is there for them in a terminal?

Leave a comment:

• wagaf
    replied
    Originally posted by Inopia View Post
    Does CLA have any real effect when the software is already MIT licensed? All I can think of is using it to prevent major contributions from having their own license headers or changing their license headers in the future.

Any license change from Microsoft could be met with a simple fork of latest MIT code.
    Who's going to maintain that fork in the long-run, if full-time Microsoft engineers now work on the proprietary version?

If they close the source, the Open Source fork is very likely to lag behind and slowly die unless another organization funds the effort on par with Microsoft (this example also shows why Open Source is economically more efficient and avoids double-spend).

However, that's unlikely to happen because Microsoft profits from community engagement and contributions, which is the reason they keep things Open Source in the first place. The community also profits from Microsoft's work on the software and from the ability to use it, examine it, and modify it freely.

Without the CLA, they simply don't fully own the code and have to ask anyone even with minor contributions for permission to relicense the code, which might obviously be an issue for them if they want to use the software as a strategic part of a large range of proprietary products. Patents are just a part of the issue.
    Last edited by wagaf; 15 December 2021, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    this is nice for windows users. powershell from windoes terminal is actually useful, and doesn't make my eyes bleed

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    replied
    Another step forward in the EEE strategy

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
    Too little, far too late.

MS could have done this a decade ago, but they never believed the terminal mattered to end users. So be it.

We on Linux have had all the advances they refused to even consider for a very long time.

Mark my words, they are going to let us Linux users fix up their terminal for them, and then they will endlessly pretend they did it themselves and probably whine that they own the stuff we contribute to their closed source abomination.

Still, they are using Github at least. About time they took an interest.
    What's little and late? Wake me up when Linux becomes an OS for mere mortals.

And for tech geeks? They've used Putty + screen/tmux for two decades now. No one has complained too much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X