The Sad State Of Web Browser Support Currently Within Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
    Using Flatpak is a great alternative in this case.
    How Flatpak or Snap works to fix Firefox with old mesa? Does it contain mesa drivers inside?

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post
      Has anyone tried using flatpak chromium on Debian? Same performance issues?

I don't use Debian on my desktop, but as a new laptop is planned for christmas I considered Debian for a short moment. Alternatives are Arch Linux and Ubuntu at the moment. But I don't want to annoy my wife with Arch and Ubuntu … well, Canonical's decisions are not what I want (e.g. Snap).
      Split the difference, go with Manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

How Flatpak or Snap works to fix Firefox with old mesa? Does it contain mesa drivers inside?
        Yes. That's a runtime part. In theory every flatpak could use a different mesa version.

Comment

I akways find it funny when people complain about Ubuntus weird versions fo bade their releases on. Debian is the epitome of riding 1 version of software to the end of time. The reason the browsers won't work it that debian won't update the base libraries past the point releases when the tree was frozen.
          Snap and Fkatpack can't save you if the underlying dependency for hardware acceleration is not there.
          I'm still not sure Ubuntu strikes the right balance between moving forward send supporting legacy/older applications. But I do know that Arch and similar rolling release distributions go too far in the other direction.

Comment

And people wonder why i don't run vanilla debian on the desktop anymore. Because I'm not a f****g idiot? No offense to anyone that does. More power to you.

Phoronix Test Suite v10.8.0m1
            System Information

PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core @ 4.70GHz
            Core Count: 8
            Thread Count: 16
            Extensions: SSE 4.2 + AVX2 + AVX + RDRAND + FSGSBASE
            Cache Size: 32 MB
            Microcode: 0xa201016
            Core Family: Zen 3
            Scaling Driver: acpi-cpufreq schedutil (Boost: Enabled)

GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT / 6800M 12GB
            Frequency: 2855/1000MHz
            BAR1 / Visible vRAM: 12272 MB
            OpenGL: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.1 kisak-mesa PPA (LLVM 13.0.0)
            Vulkan: 1.2.195
            Monitor: VX2768-2KP
            Screen: 2560x1440

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER
            BIOS Version: F3c
            Chipset: AMD Starship/Matisse
            Audio: AMD Navi 21 HDMI Audio
            Network: Intel I225-V + Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411

MEMORY: 32GB

DISK: 1000GB Western Digital WDS100T1XHE-00AFY0 + 2 x 1000GB SanDisk Ultra 3D NVMe
            File-System: ext4
            Mount Options: errors=remount-ro relatime rw
            Disk Scheduler: NONE
            Disk Details: Block Size: 4096

OPERATING SYSTEM: Ubuntu 21.10
            Kernel: 5.16-rc4-051600rc4+customidle-generic (x86_64)
            Desktop: GNOME Shell 40.5
            Display Server: X Server 1.20.13
            Compiler: GCC 11.2.0
            If you ain't on Arch/Gentoo/Fedora/OpenSUSE, I don't see any reason to run Debian over Ubuntu, when you know Ubuntu *is* debian. With all the good shit on top. And if you're such a skilled Linux user, you'll know how to de-bloat Ubuntu rather than spend weeks bloating up Debian. Stay woke.

And yes I know many of you don't like me. I bask in it like I bathe in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
              I akways find it funny when people complain about Ubuntus weird versions fo bade their releases on. Debian is the epitome of riding 1 version of software to the end of time. The reason the browsers won't work it that debian won't update the base libraries past the point releases when the tree was frozen.
              Snap and Fkatpack can't save you if the underlying dependency for hardware acceleration is not there.
              I'm still not sure Ubuntu strikes the right balance between moving forward send supporting legacy/older applications. But I do know that Arch and similar rolling release distributions go too far in the other direction.
              IMHO, I think the way going forward would be to somehow include legacy Linux versions in an easy-to-use VM-like setup. Like, we'd download "Debian 7 Mode" from the Arch repos and then we could right click our executable or chmod? it to use Debian 7 Mode like how we'd set Windows XP Mode on Windows.

And it shouldn't have be any more complicated than that.

Comment

Just run Firefox with Wine and get rid of all the Linux dependency bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Just run Firefox with Wine and get rid of all the Linux dependency bullshit.
                  ROFL

Not even 7am and you've won Phoronix today.

Comment

I LOVE Debian, but it is not meant to be used on a home computer anymore. Unless you don't mind about sticking with old software for years until the next stable arrives.

Comment

This is just the tip of the iceberg, in fact all fix release distributions are insecure for desktop use, maybe someday people will notice.

Comment

Working...
                      X