Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    here you need to be working on one to contribute free labor for them ?
    It's not free labor - it's like a paid internship. And it's for approved projects, but it's not like you're working directly on Google code.

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    You would think as a slave driver you don't care who rows the boat?
    I think they used it as a tool for recruiting kids out of school. Also, it helped these kids get some more real-world type experience and even helped vet them for Google's sake.

There are many nice things about hiring fresh out of school: young employees with lower salary expectations, no children to raise, lots of stamina, and easy to mold. However, Google doesn't only hire fresh grads, and this latest move probably helps them expand their hiring pool.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    What's weird is they say you don't need a college degree to code(just take our google cert classes) but here you need to be working on one to contribute free labor for them ?
    You would think as a slave driver you don't care who rows the boat?

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Nice!
    I would love to see more contributors for KDE.
    Maybe we can get a Vulkan backend for KDE Plasma or a bluetooth backend or scrcpy integration for KDE connect.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    Awesome changes, it didn't make sense limiting the contributions by such restrictions if the objective of the GSoC was to gather/introduce more developers to open source projects

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    I wonder if this has anything to do with competing with China's similar initiative (forgot what it's called), or maybe it's just because they realized that a 27 yrs old dude is just as capable as a 20 yrs old?

Leave a comment:

• Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Phoronix: Google Makes Some Major Changes To Summer of Code 2022 - No Longer Limited To Students

Over the past nearly two decades Google Summer of Code (GSoC) has been known as an initiative for getting students involved with open-source software development over the course of a summer while receiving a stipend/grant from Google. Beginning next year, GSoC will no longer be limited to students but open to all adults. Additionally, other changes are also coming...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...C-2022-Changes
Working...
X